Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am a 56 year-old female in excellent health. I have the

Customer Question

I am a 56 year-old female in excellent health. I have the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes (enough to have insurance cover a basic IOL implant). I also have recently discovered astigmatism (about 1.25-1.5D) in both eyes. I have mostly successfully worn monovision contacts for the last 12-15 years. My Rx is +2.50 (right eye, distance) and + 4.75 (left eye, close up). However, I am not totally satisfied w/ my distance vision--far ends of grocery aisles and far distance driving (in all conditions) are less than optimal. I desire to NOT wear contacts or glasses. I am considering a monovision toric lens implant (just like my contacts--one eye for close up; the other for distance). However, I'm also considering waiting for US/FDA approval of the toric multifocal lenses. What do you suggest?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Since you have years of experience with monovision contact lenses I feel you would do just fine with monovision toric IOL's.

Dr. Rick :

Who knows how long it will take for the FDA to get around to approving the new toric mulitfocals and, since your cataracts are at the point that they are bothering you and are ready to come out, I do not see any reason to delay surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Also, should you have the monofocal/toric IOL's placed in your eyes in a monovision configeration after cataract surgery and, for whatever reason, do not like it, you can have IOL explanted and exchanged.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Since you have years of experience with monovision contact lenses I feel you would do just fine with monovision toric IOL's.
Dr. Rick : Who knows how long it will take for the FDA to get around to approving the new toric mulitfocals and, since your cataracts are at the point that they are bothering you and are ready to come out, I do not see any reason to delay surgery.
Dr. Rick : Also, should you have the monofocal/toric IOL's placed in your eyes in a monovision configuration after cataract surgery and, for whatever reason, do not like it, you can have IOL explanted and exchanged.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

So. What is the take home message? I believe you will be fine proceeding with monovision/toric IOL implantation with one eye set up for near and the other for distance, just like you have been doing for years with your contact lenses.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the reason that my far distance vision is blurry right now (actually for quite a while--I really have to concentrate & tell my brain to focus on distance while driving). Is it the cataracts? Astigmatism? Or the monovision contacts? (My distance vision is much clearer when wearing my bifocals. . . )

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Susan,

Monovision contacts will not, in and of themselves, cause a decrease in vision that the ophthalmologist can not make better in her office; this is also true for astigmatism.

From what you have posted, it sounds like the primary cause of your decreased vision are your cataracts.

I'm sure your doctor told you this, but as long as you can see well enough to do the things you need to do while wearing your contacts or glasses, there is no need to have cataract surgery. Waiting to have cataracts removed does not change your final visual outcome or make the surgery any more difficult or risky.

Does this make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am weighing cost (our insurance premiums continue to go up; benefits continue to go down). I can only expect more of the same in 2014. . .The fact that I've already invested time/money in 3 measurment visits (a 4th scheduled for Friday, 3/22--surgery scheduled for 4/16). I have an active lifestyle, and do not want to wear glasses. Also, the contacts generally work so well for me that I am tempted, too often, to sleep in them. I realize that this is a very dangerous practice. Just having a hard time making a decision. . .a friend/colleague in Ecuador just had toric multifocal implants, and she is begging me to wait for FDA approval--scheduled for 13-14 months from now. However, not sure I want to be one of the first patients implanted with this new lens.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Susan,

When the FDA gives a "date" for when the might approve something I would not put much stock on what they say...it might be years.

As you can tell from your friends experience in Ecuador, even if you had the lens implanted the very first day the FDA allows doctors in the USA to use it there would have been thousands of people around the world ahead of you. Also, implanting the "new" lens is not technically difficult for and experienced surgeon.

There are really no wrong answers for your issue....just decisions. I am glad that you are exploring all your options before making this important decision.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in the future.

Dr. Rick MD FACS