Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Good morningg..... Can symptoms of temporal arteritis come

Good morningg.....

Can symptoms of temporal arteritis come and go? Yesterday I had a bad headache and pain in my hair scalp. It went almost away this morning, just feel a mild headache now. This ha s happened 3in times in the last 2garden years.....I have also been dizzy (mild mostly, severe a few times) daily during these 2days years. Dr thinks its migraine associated vertigo.....but I wonder if the scalp pain is dangerous? I read its associated with giant cell arteritis....but not sure if migraine can cause it too. I worked in the garden all weekend and have very tense neck muscles....I wonder if that could trigger the headache and scalp pain? Thanks. Btw, I have had 3a brain mri (no contrast)for last year, all normal. Never had an mra, dr said not necessary. I have never passed out. I do gel blurred vision and double vision when tired eyes.....dr said I have mild esophoria. Going to ophtalmologist next month. Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted, I do not believe you have to worry that you are suffering from giant cell arteritis.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with your doctor: It is most likely from migraines.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : From what you have posted, I do not believe you have to worry that you are suffering from giant cell arteritis.
Dr. Rick : I agree with your doctor: It is most likely from migraines.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks dr. Rick! GCA would not come and go correct?

Can migraines make one mildly dizzy 24/7? The neuro diagnosed MAV because he saw nystagmus whne I was having an episode. Going to a pedriatic ophtalmologist at emory ina month to get the prisms looked at....the neuro thought that the prisms triggered the migraine with vertigo last time.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. And it is not very common in someone your age.

I, personally, suffer from migraines and I can tell you that they can make you dizzy.

You are going to the correct person to deal with your strabismus. Just remember, as an adult, you don't get to play with all the great toys in the pediatric ophthalmologists waiting room lol!

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ha ha ha....i will try to stay away! I am seeing dr. Lambert at Emory.....supposedly he is good, so maybe he can get me worked out. Yes, I know GCA is not commont at my age, but better safe than sorry. What really scared me was the scalp pain....i guess migraines can cause that too?

I am sorry you have migraines too. I need to be better about identifying triggers. can too much salt be a trigger as well?

My inner ear is good, no issues there...trhats why they said migraines instead of vestibular. I guess makes sense.

Thanks!!

Sara

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sara,

Yes. They can, although scalp pain is not a common effect of migraines.

I very, very, very much doubt that you have GCA :)

Triggers very from person to person...salt is not one of mine.

Your are in good hands with the doctors at Emory.

Have a great day and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! For some reason I have been worried about my head arteries having aproblem..... since I have been dizzy for 2 years now. But I have not passed out once, and it gets better and worse. So I guess vascular problems do not work like that correct?

Thanks so much for your help! You have a great day as well!

Sara

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sara,

No. They really don't work that way, especially in a 27 year old :)

You have a great day, too!

I'm sure, after 197 positive ratings, you know how much fun it is to mash the excellent feedback button ;)

Let me know if I can do anything else to help.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest