Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a question, For years, pretty much my entire life. I

I have a question, For years, pretty much my entire life. I noticed if I look at a light outside at night, I can see a rainbow around them, and a halo. I never had any other symptoms, Other then that my vision has been good. Do I have anything? Or is it normal?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes I am on now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the rainbow effect around lights has been appreciated for years without any visual problem whatsoever, it is normal. Halos around lights are otherwise also seen in case of early cataracts and glaucoma.

Customer:

ah I was wondering, as others around me don't have it. If I look at the moon, I can see a bright halo around it, or rainbows around lights

Customer:

In the streets

Customer:

etc

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you have not had an eye exam in the last one year, It would be better to get one done for a routine test so that early cataract can be detected if present.

Customer:

Just wondering, how would one know if he had cataract?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In cataract, tiny droplets of water accumalate in the lens fibres and behave like prisms. This is the cause for colored halos around lights.

Customer:

Can it cause eye damage in the long term

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Only an eye exam would be able to detect cataract. As the cataract matures or progresses, the vision begins to get affected.

Customer:

hm, what treatment options is there for cataract?

Customer:

If I had it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it is not a major problem to have cataracts. It is almost like an aging phenomenon which when present can easily be operated upon.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Surgery is the only option for cataracts.

Customer:

can cataract occur at any age, lets say 19?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Developmental cataract can occur at that age too.

Customer:

I'll follow your advice and get eye tested

Customer:

One thing

Customer:

Is there other things that can cause that?

Customer:

Or only cataract?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from cataract, corneal edema can cause colored halos. Corneal edema can occur in angle closure glaucoma ( but it is characterised by acute episodes of redness, pain, watering, colored halos).

Customer:

One thing, if its normal after having it for years, why do some have it, and some don't have it at all? I would guess structure differences? Or as you said prism droplets?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, colored halos is due to prismatic effect of water droplets. It is the inherent property of prism to convert white light into the seven colors of visual spectrum.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess a detailed eye exam should be able to reveal if there is any cause for this in your eyes.

Customer:

rainbow + glow I see around lights spread out, i'd assume that is the effect of halo

Customer:

will do

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes.

Customer:

Thanks for your help, great service!