Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

ABOU 3 MONTHS AGOD I STARTED SEEING FLASHES I THE CORNER OF

ABOU 3 MONTHS AGOD I STARTED SEEING FLASHES I THE CORNER OF MY LEFT EYE IN THE DAY. IN THA DAY I SEE SOME FLOATERS. IT SEEMS I HAVE PVD. IT HAS NOT GOTTEN ANY WORST. CAN I FLY WITH THIS CONDITION? CAN THE SITUATION BE TREATED/CURED?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Yes, it is perfectly safe for you to travel with a PVD, but when you reach home it is recommended that you be examined by a qualified ophthalmic surgeon, because occasionally your symptoms can be associated with a small tear in the retina, which can lead to a retinal detachment. Does that make sense?

Customer:

hi doc

Customer:

yes. if there is no tear, can the condition be treated or do i have to live with it

Dr. Tom :

Many of us have PVDs. Personally, I have had one for many years. Generally, we become adapted to its presence, and nothing needs to be done. However, if it is a significant burden, the vitreo-retinal specialists have a safe surgical technique that can be used to remove the problem. Is there anything else I can answer for you this morning?

Customer:

last question-- if there is a tear. what procedure can be done to rectify the condition?

Dr. Tom :

Generally, a small retinal tear can be lasered to close it, painlessly, right in the ophthalmologists office. If this answers your questions to your satisfaction, please be kind enough to sign out by clicking the smiling happy face to indicate that you are satisfied with my help to you.

Customer:

thank you!