Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

A diagnosis now for all that took place for 8 months is Occipital

Customer Question

A diagnosis now for all that took place for 8 months is Occipital Neuralgia. Very confusing and why did this take so long??
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Hi

Dr. Tom :

Good morning. Would you please give a little more background so I can help you?

Customer:

Yes I did send you a note a few weeks ago. I have been going to a very reputable eye doctor for several months and was diagnosed with iritis. I have been on a seres of drops for high eye pressure and inflamation. It has been a circle of eye pressure up and inflamation down and vice versa. I was sent to a rheumatologist and had an MRI. It showed no significant problems Now the eye doc said I have occipital neuralgia. Please help me deal with this confusion.

Dr. Tom :

Thank you for that background. If you have chatted with another expert a few weeks ago, perhaps I can go back and review, however, for this morning there are a couple of comments that may be useful for you. Give me a minute to type out a reply.

Dr. Tom :

As you have stated, you have been under the care of a reputable 'eye doctor." Was this eye doctor and ophthalmologist ( an MD ) or was he an optometrist?

Dr. Tom :

And please tell me what symptoms you had eight months ago when you were diagnosed with iritis?

Dr. Tom :

I will wait to hear from you on this before typing anything further.

Customer:

I went to a Eye Institute and Doctor has MD FACS Board Certified Opthalmologist. Symptomd are very painful eye ache. I ay ache because it felt like my eye was being pushed out with the pressure. A huge weight and powerful headaches, sensitivity to light. Eye pressure was very high at times and inflamation.

Dr. Tom :

Great, that clearly indicates that you were in the right place with the correct type of specialist. Your presenting pain and elevated eye pressure is consistent with both the diagnosis of iritis and the alternating management problems, which you have encountered. From your posting, there is the impression that you have now reached the point of resolution in the management of the iritis, so I'll try to give you some insight into the occipital neuralgia. Let's start by explaining that pain in and around the eye and also in the temporal area can be caused by potentially serious vascular inflammatory disease. This would be an excellent reason why your ophthalmologist wanted you evaluated by a rheumatologist. He was doing a superb job of ruling out other potential disease. Another cause of pain in and around the eye is due to the occipital neuralgia syndrome. It takes a very astute physician to make that diagnosis, because most of the symptoms of the occipital neuralgia syndrome are not related to the eye or the orbit. However, they can be. So it would appear that you have first had iritis, which is now well-managed, and in the course of the eight months, the occipital neuralgia became a secondary diagnosis. Does this make sense so far? I will stand by, waiting to see if you have any other questions.

Customer:

I like your response. My eye Doctor mentioned Occiptal Neuralgia after seeing him last week. I explained I had the most violent headache after bowling(havent done that in years) and explained I had to stop after 2 games because I thought I was falling forward. At that appointment he said my eye pressure was very good and inflammation was gone. I find this all very interesting. thank you

Dr. Tom :

Is there anything else I can answer for you. I want to make sure you're completely satisfied?

Customer:

It was recommended I discuss this with my chiropractor.

Dr. Tom :

Actually, when you have checked out and posted a positive rating for my help, I will send you a follow-up email with a link to an excellent website describing occipital new round your in detail. As far as a chiropractor, my answer would be no. If you want to pursue management of the occipital neuralgia, it should be in the hands of a neurologist. After a neurologist confirms the need for treatment either he can lead you in the proper direction or If pain management is appropriate in his view, there are pain management specialist, who are generally board-certified anesthesiologist appeared. Is it anything else that I may answer for you before you checkout?

Customer:

No, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your taking away all these clouds.

Dr. Tom :

You're very welcome. Please feel free to ask for me personally, should you have any further questions on this or anything else regarding your eyes.

Customer:

I will.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems