Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Recently, I went to the eye-glass store and took an eye test

Recently, I went to the eye-glass store and took an eye test for reading glasses. I'm 44 and have had trouble reading. The glasses I got were pretty strong but really help me a lot to read. Now I know I wore glasses for reading when I was a child and I remember being told I have a stigmatism. Anyway, since getting these glasses I notice how much worse my eyes are. I read much better, but when I sit down to eat dinner suddenly my food and the people I'm with are so much harder to see (this never used to be the case). I want to put on the reading glasses to make it easier to see them and my food. This makes me feel paranoid. Is it all in my head? I know it's not. It's really harder to bring everything into focus now. I used to read the computer Ok but now it's impossible (having got used to the glasses). I really can't bring it into focus. And even people now, if they are within 3 feet, are harder to focus on.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am not sure about the type of glasses you are wearing currently. Are you using bifocals/progressive/ only reading ?

Customer:

only reading

Customer:

are your eyes supposed to get worse when you start using reading glasses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in that case the reading glasses are meant for near vision only ( about a foot away). You would not be able to see clearly for any distance beyond 14 inches with the reading glasses ( that should explain why the computer and people around you appear blurred with the glasses on).

Customer:

no with the glasses off

Customer:

everything is worse with the glasses off now

Customer:

you see?

Customer:

I used to be fine sitting down to dinner or even looking at the computer

Customer:

now everything is worse with the glasses off

Customer:

my eyesight seems much worse now that I started using the glasses

Customer:

with the glasses off everything is much worse now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once you get used to using reading glasses for reading, it becomes difficult for the eyes to see near without them. But it should not affect your distance vision.

Customer:

far distance is fine

Customer:

near distance is much worse

Customer:

that's normal?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You mean the intermediate distance ( computer and people around you).

Customer:

so I should start using them not only for readin or close in but for even 3 feet ?

Customer:

intermeidate distance is much worse yes

Customer:

it used to be fine

Customer:

now much worse

Customer:

is that normal?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I think you should benefit with progressive glasses as it takes care of distance, intermediate and near vision all together.

Customer:

oh. so I made a mistake really

Customer:

I always do that...go for the cheap option. so I need a comprehensive test and much more expensive glasses?

Customer:

If that's so I will do it

Customer:

can I get by for a few months like this?

Customer:

this is terrible

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since your distance vision ( far vision ) is fine ( I assume it to be 20/20), I wonder if you still have any remnant childhood astigmatism left.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

At 44 years, a near correction of 1.25 dioptres or 1.50 dioptres should be fine.

Customer:

will it be dangerous to continue this way for a few months?

Customer:

until the summer when I can get back to Thailand?

Customer:

Japan is just too expensive and no english here so I'd like to wait until august but this is a problem

Customer:

will it di something terrible to my eyes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, considering the fact that your far vision is normal, there should not be any problem at the moment with the present reading glasses. Just try wearing the reading glasses way down on your nose and use it only for near reading. Try looking through the glasses for computer viewing, if it makes it clear then continue for computer use also but just in case the glasses make computer viewing blurred then do not use it for computer viewing.

Customer:

and one final thing: can you tell me exactly what I need to say to the eye doctor to get this corrected?

Customer:

OK. This is very uncomfortable. I can see I made a big mistake. So what do I need to say when I visit a doctor> and

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You need a proper presbyopic correction along with correction for intermediate distance.

Customer:

can an eye store understand what I need or do I need to see a real doctor like you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did the eye store also check for the far vision? Was it 20/20 in both eyes?

Customer:

No. This was a big mistake. They only did reading bases on looking at my old reading glasses. This was all a mistake I think.

Customer:

They did a test for reading only I think. And the new ones are much stronger

Customer:

I know there is a big difference between my eyes from my old ones

Customer:

I don't know. I made a mistake.

Customer:

do I need a real doctor then? I mean not just a store?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case we are not even sure if the glasses given are correct . I think it is better to get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist or even an optometrist. I think you might need both far and near correction ( along with intermediate).

Customer:

Because I can't see people 3 or 4 feet away anymore

Customer:

OK

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Readymade readers are always not correct for every individuals. Some would need a cutomised correction.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I think you need a customised correction.

Customer:

These were made after a test but I see the mistake now.

Customer:

I will have to wait until the summer though. Thanks for your help

Customer:

I will go to an eye doctor this summer

Customer:

Thanks. I guess I understand. Thanks for your help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I think it makes sense to get the eyes examined by an ophthalmologist only.

Customer:

OK. I will do it this summer. If that's OK and my eyes won't be damaged

Customer:

Thanks for your help DR. Have a nice night.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome. Good night.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince