Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi I just had cataract surgery in my right eye four days ago.

Hi I just had cataract surgery in my right eye four days ago. Since ive been experiencing a white flash/floater running from bottom to top of the outer edge of my peripheral vision. It is not continuous but it is happening to a noticable degree. There is also a circular floater with rays appearing at the center of my eye. Again not continuous but noticable especially when looking at something bright or reflective.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did your eye surgeon mention any unusual issues with your cataract surgery or any complications?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Did your eye surgeon mention any unusual issues with your cataract surgery or any complications?

Have you noticed a curtain coming across your vision from any direction in the affected eye?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I see that you have read my reply but not responded. Let me give you information on what I believe is going on.

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people and is can occur even after uncomplicated cataract surgery.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont see a curtain coming across my fov but I see a bottom to top floater or flash at the peripheral edge of vision. What about the iris looking floater at the center of my eye

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That is most likely from a large chunk of your vitreous called a weiss ring. It from the part of the jelly in the back of your eye that was attached near your optic nerve. It usually comes off in a clump causing what you see.

When you see your eye surgeon next week let him know about your flashes and floaters. He will dilate your eye and make sure the retina is OK.

The good news? In the majority of cases everything is OK an you won't have to come and see one of my retina colleagues :-)

Does this make sense to you?

Have you noticed how bright colors, especially white, are since you had your cataract removed?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do weiss rings go away if the retina is ok

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
As I mentioned above, they do not really go away but, with time they sink down out of the center of your vision and you tend not to notice them anymore.

I've had floaters, including a weiss ring, in my left eye for over two decades and I hardly ever notice it anymore.

Have I mentioned how much fun the excellent feedback button is to push?
Try it. You'll like it ;-)

Have a good weekend.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest