Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My soft contact tore as I removed it from my eye. About 3/4 came out, but the rest is stil

My soft contact tore as I removed it from my eye. About 3/4 came out, but the rest is still in my eye. It's not painful or even particularly noticeable, but I'm concerned as it dries during the night it may cause damage..

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is is possible for you or a friend to see the residual piece of the contact lens in your eye?

Dr. Rick :

Is the lens a daily wear or extended wear type of lens?

Dr. Rick :

It seems like you have done a very good job of trying to get out the piece.

Customer:

Earlier today the piece was visible and I was able to move it with my finger, but when I pinched to remove it the piece slid up under the eyelid. It is daily wear.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

Since that earlier experience neither I nor my wife have seen it.

Dr. Rick :

since you do not feel it in your eye I would bet that there is a very good chance that is fell out when you were not looking :)

Customer:

I have tried flushing it and thought that might be a possibility, but I do still occasionally think I feel it under my eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

One of the biggest risks is that, by getting too aggressive in trying to get out a piece of a broken soft contact lens, you end up scratching your cornea and causing pain. Then you think the pain is from the lens, so you work harder to "remove" it...and a vicious cycle starts.

Customer:

Makes sense. My next question is whether I should let it be over night to see if it might have come out, or be more aggressive and have an on-call eye care physician look at it.

Dr. Rick :

I would goop up your eye before bedtime with an lubricating ointment such as refresh PM or lacrilube (you can buy it almost anywhere). This will protect your eye from any small piece of contact lens while you sleep.

Dr. Rick :

In the morning if your eye feels fine I would flush it again with sterile saline and try to put in a new contact. If you are fine, so be it. If you have problems you might have to see a ER doc or an eye MD to get out the residual lens....but I bet it won't come to that.

Customer:

Will do. That makes sense.

Dr. Rick :

At this point I do not think you need to get the oncall eye doctor to come in.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After following the instructions, the following day (Sunday) the remaining piece of my contact came out on its own. I didn't realize it but my wife found it later in the day, but found the piece on the floor by the sink!

Chip,

Glad to hear that everything "came out" O.K. ;-)

Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.

Dr. Rick