Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Bruised ear

I have a bruise on my ear after getting in a fight last night. I only took one punch to the ear but it is bruised today and i need to know if i should worry about it. This is the first punch i've taken to the ear like this. It doesn't hurt to touch it or to move my ear but it is super black towards the top inner part of my ear.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is the bruise so large that your ear is distorted by the blood?

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases you will be OK. I suggest you put some ice on it for a day or so.

Dr. Rick :

The bruise may take a few weeks to go away and it will change colors as it heals. This is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Is the bruise so large that your ear is distorted by the blood?
Dr. Rick : In the vast majority of cases you will be OK. I suggest you put some ice on it for a day or so.
Dr. Rick : The bruise may take a few weeks to go away and it will change colors as it heals. This is nothing to worry about.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

You might read a lot on the internet about "cauliflower ear" after bleeding/bruising of the ear but this is usually from repeat trauma.

That being said, if your ear has a large bruise or collection of blood you can feel then you should consult with a doctor.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Like i said, this IS the first time i've taken a shot like that to the ear. What did you mean by "is my ear distorted by blood"?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes you can get such a large bruise that your ear could have a egg like lump in it from the bruise/blood or it may be warped or bent.

If this is the case, then you should see a MD and see if the blood should be drained.

If it is only a change in the color of your ear then that is not as big of a deal and should heal up just fine.

Does that make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That did make sense. As of right now, there are no lumps, just a very distinct discoloration where the bruise is, and my ear around it is red, but thats not exactly uncommon for me, as all the males in my families ears will turn red for almost no reason from time to time. I did get hit pretty hard but not hard enough that it felt like and damage was done. I didn't get knocked out or anything. I honestly didn't think anything of it until i went to work today and people pointed it out and started bringing up "califlower ear", which instilled worry and panic in me, hence why i'm here on this site. In your professional opinion, do you think i have anything to worry about, and what can i do to help with the swelling and help ensure that no "egg like lumps" form?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
that is one of the risks of Mr. Google in today's world -- all your friends can consult him and tell you what you need to do ;-)

From what you have posted I do not believe you are at significant risk for ending up with a cauliflower ear.

Next time try to duck :)

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me.

Have a good weekend.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest