Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

6 weeks ago I finally gave up my 30 a day cigarette habit and

6 weeks ago I finally gave up my 30 a day cigarette habit and generally, I'm very happy with myself. The only problem is that since withdrawing the nicotine I've had almost constant headaches. They aren't severe, more irritating than debilitating, but 3 days ago I had a migraine with flashing lights in my right eye. It passed off but since then, my eye has been really sensitive to light. I have to wear dark glasses in supermarkets and the lights in the classroom I work in are becoming very uncomfortable. In relative darkness I have no symptoms but in the light I get shimmering in my right eye and this distorts my vision. Have you any idea what this might be? Could it be connected to my giving up smoking? I worry a little about eye problems as my mother was blind and I obviously worry that the same thing might happen to me.
Thanks
Gill
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Gill....I've reviewd your question, and it does not sound like your eye problem is related to the non-smoking issue. The shimmering symptom sounds migraine related, but the prolonged sensitivity to light worries me. Do you have an ophthalmologist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do - I had an eye test about 8 months ago. I've also been referred in the past to an eye hospital for a similar issue but they found nothing.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Gill....did you have the same level of light sensitivity when you were last checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - it was shimmering sensation - this time in my left eye.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Sorry....the system locked up....No I don't think that from your symptoms, that like your mother , that this is a sign of " going blind"....but it worries me that there is the light sensitivity...and that is why I would want you to come in to let me check if you were my patient.

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gill,

This is just to see how you've been getting along since our chat?

Please let me know if any new questions about your eyes.

You can direct new questions to me directly if you liked my service.

Wishing for you the best of health,

Dr. Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I've been referred to the hospital by my optician as the problem has not improved. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the follow up Gill. Good luck.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD