Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Ive developed a wierd circular jagged edge floater like thing

Customer Question

I've developed a wierd circular jagged edge floater like thing in my vision
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

Since you are offline , let me ask for a little more information that will help me give you an answer when you are available. Does the floater move independent of your eye movement? Do you have any associated flashes of light or " sparks ' in your periferal vision? Have you had any eye surgery?.......

Customer:

I am online

Dr. Tom :

I see you are back online..great, we can continue to chat.

Customer:

no surgery, it was shaped like a 'C' and had a jagged edge, flashing, it grew larger over time, no seems to have subsided, no headache,

Customer:

now seems to have subsidede

Customer:

it is gone now

Customer:

quite un nerving however

Customer:

No drug use other than motrin

Customer:

I have been suffering with neuropathic issues for almost a year now after a bicycle crash and thought at first it might be related

Customer:

I get pins and needles sensations over much of my body when it flares up including my face. It causes my left eye to twich frequently

Dr. Tom :

OK...thanks....it sound like you experienced an ocular migraine, which will clear spontaneously as yours did .......however a posterior vitreous detachment can have similar symptoms,.........and for either you should have an ophthalmologist to give the once over. Does that make sense and can I answer anything else?

Customer:

ocular migraine? can you go into a little detail please?

Customer:

is that a circulatory issue?

Dr. Tom :

Sure...give me a minute to type a more complete answer.

Dr. Tom :

Hang on so I can answer the first question

Customer:

sorry

Dr. Tom :

An opthalmic migraine is sort of like the aura a person with classic migraines has...but without the associated pain. It often has a stress, anxiety pattern associated with it. When we get through I will come back to you and give you some links to site with detailed descriptions. And to answer your last question ....it isn't exately a circulatory issue , but it is brain activity related....like migraine. Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes thanks, XXXXX XXXXX been under a lot of stress lately now that you mention it. Is a vitreous detachment possible from my accident a year ago?

Customer:

I've noticed in the past week sometimes my vision is slightly in a soft haze

Customer:

I've been really fatigued this past week, not getting enough sleep and poor quality sleep also

Dr. Tom :

Yes it is, but as you further described your over all status and that the " image" cleared spontaneously, the PVD cause is less likely than the ophthalmic migraine. .....but you still need to set up an appointmant with an ophthalmologist. Do you have any other question?

Customer:

just the last few remarks I made

Customer:

I have an ophthalmologist in San Francisco, should I seek care with her or do I need to go to the ER?

Dr. Tom :

Your last two sentenses were:

"I've noticed in the past week sometimes my vision is slightly in a soft haze

I've been really fatigued this past week, not getting enough sleep and poor quality sleep also".......again your statements all suggest that stress/anxiety relationship that I mentioned is the primary cause. No you don't need an ER today unless you develop more symptoms. They would just have to call in an ophthalmologist anyway. It would be best to see if your eye doc is on call ........so if there are no other questions, we can check out so I can follow up with the link I promised. Make sure that you are satified with my service by clicking a positive rating. Best wishes and thanks.

Customer:

I slept 9.5 hours last night however

Customer:

thank you very much Dr Tom, I appreciate your service and will check excellent. thanks

Customer:

I will make an appt Monday with my Dr.

Customer:

Thanks again

Dr. Tom :

Thank you......one more thing...if you develop a lot of actual floaters and flashing lights....that's a different matter and you should seek urgent care. Again best wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
You bet...best wishes.