Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Again~I went to my Optomitrist yesterday and was able to

Customer Question

Hi Again~I went to my Optomitrist yesterday and was able to get my THICK contact lens re~ newed~ as my old one is really worn~I had high eye pressure all along and had to wait until it was under sontrol~ it now is on drops~ I also asked for one for my Right eye ~I have 20- 20- vision up close for it and need glasses for distance~she put one in and it felt so good~ as it is a thinner lens~ but I could not see well up close anymore~she said to get reader glasses at a local store~ which I did~when
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Your entire post did not come through on the chat system. I will switch to Q&A....sometimes it shows up better there :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

Your post has been cut off.... Would you mind cutting/pasting it here so I can read it?

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today. :(

Also, is your optometrist managing your glaucoma? What drops are you on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick~ My Optomitrist is not managing my high eye pressure~ the Ophthalmolist is and I see her again in two or three months~ she has me on Azopt op 1% ~I find this one rather hard~ as it is like a white glue and no matter how hard I try there always seems to be a residue in the corner of my eye~ being white it shows up~ the second one is Combigan Op~ these I take twice a day and the last one is taken only at bedtime called Lumigan~ thus far she says I do not have glaucoma~ as no damage has been taken place~but IOP~anyway I did go back to my Optomitrist yesterday to get my THICK lens re~ newed~ as it is old and uncomfortable~ she would not give it to me until I saw a Specialist about the high pressure she noted~it did come down from 37 to 16 and 17 in four days on these drops~anyway I also asked for a contact for my right eye for distance~I have 20- 20 up close for reading~ even at my age in this eye~ she inserted one and it was so nice to NOT to have to wear glasses for distance and it felt very comfortable~ I could see well at a distance and yet not close up ~ she said I would need cheap reader glasses now for close up~I purchased them~ when I went to take the contact out that night I could not and my neighbour and son tried and in fact said it was not even there~I knew it was~ as I could still see at a distance well and finally we went to Out Patients~the Doctor also could not see it~ then he froze my eye and put drops in and then he did see it~ would my contact be ruined~the yellow is coming better as I rinse it~ I knew that I had to get it out~ in order to get my drops instilled that night~ the neighbour said to just leave it there~ I feel discouraged and wonder why I can't see close with it~ do they not come in Bifocals~if so you would think that she would tell me~now I hate to try and put it in again~after that experience~my other one is so thick it is easy to manage~should these drops me stored in the fridge~ is it okay to I mean~ and why would I just see far with the lens for my right eye~I loved not having to wear glasses for driving and TV~ but if they are hard to remove then I had better stop them~I live alone and have no one to help me~also is the white residue that I always see mean that I am not getting the drops in properly~Thanks in advance~Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

I'm glad your ophthalmologist is taking care of the glaucoma issue.

16 and 17 are very good eye pressures in the majority of cases.

The yellow dye will not damage your contact lens at all even if it has changed the actual color of the contact lens....noting to worry about there.

You can safely put in the contact again. Ask your optometrist to show you the "pinch technique" for removing the thin contact. They also make little suction cups that you can use to get it out.

I like to have patients store their drops in the fridge so that they can easily tell if the cold drop hit their eye. It is not necessary, however, to keep the drops in the fridge for any other reason....

Sounds like you are fit for monovision...one lens would be thin and the other one thick. If you don't like this you can have both eyes fit for distance vision and use cheap reading glasses over your contacts for near.

The white residue is just extra medicine in the drop. Do not worry about this at all. It is normal.

Whew! That was a lot of questions. I hope I got them all. :)

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for so many questions~ but one eye ~the left is far sighted~whereas the right near sighted~it is rather a nuisance when I can't see close after the lens is in~ what causes this part~ as I asked can they not give bi focals~ I am so happy with the thinner right lens and yet I did not like the part of no longer being able to see close~ years ago I worked with girls who wore them for far and distance~yet they did not seem to have a problem up close too~ has age something to do with this~maybe it is easier to just wear my glasses for the right eye correction of distance~ but it is kind of awkward~ as the left side has just a clear glass~ as there is a thick lens in that eye due to cataract surgery over 30 years ago~ when they did not do implants~I hope I am wording my question and concern right~it is rather confusing~Thanks~Martha~The drops I told you I was using~ do they sound good~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
the reason you can't see close when the lens is in is because of a condition called presbyopia. This happens to every human on the planet sometime after age 40.

You can't compare your situation to the girls you worked with. First of all they may not have one eye nearsighted and the other one farsighted, they may be younger than 40 etc....everyone is different.

Since one eye is aphakic (no lens placed after cataract surgery many years ago) one way to address your concerns is to have another eye surgery and have an intraocular lens implanted in your aphakic eye. You would no longer need the really thick lens.

Yes. The drops you are using make perfect sense to me and sound good.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am Happy Dr. Rick~ as I told you before the Doctors here do not~ for some reason want to instill the Lens now~ one saying that the trauma on the eye would not be good with high eye pressure~wearing a thick lens is not so bad and you are right~ these girls were young back then~I am very thankful that my optic nerves are still healthy~ she says thus far I do not have glaucoma~ but you call it that~I am a Suspect I guess~maybe I should not be so vain and just wear glasses for distance in my right eye~ thanks again~Martha~ Handling a thin lens I suppose is foreign to me after 30 years of only having a thick one~if I slept in it would that cause damage~ as my neighbour thought I should do~ for one thing I could not put my drops in~Martha

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Martha,

There are lenses that are specifically made for extended, including night-time, wear. If your lenses are not this type then I would not suggest sleeping in them. Talk to your optometrist if you would like to sleep in your thin contact and she can probably set you up with some. This way you wouldn't have to take them out very often at all.

As we discussed in the past, I would consult with another cataract surgeon and see if she feels you are a candidate for a secondary IOL placement in your aphakic eye. Now a days a lens can be sewn in place if there are worries about an anterior chamber lens causing issues with glaucoma.

Thanks for mashing the excellent feedback button :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help in the future.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest