Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hey Doc tell me what you think, I use drug store reading glasses

Hey Doc tell me what you think, I use drug store reading glasses alot 150s. I now use them when Im not reading just to get around. My problem is that my depth preception is now off really bad at least I think its depth I feel like Im in a bubble when I go out into the light and I feel unstable. I went to an eye doctor and he said I had a macular pucker in my left eye but that wouldnt effect my preception. Ive tried bifocals for my eyes that are slightly short sided but they make it worse. Any ideas, this is getting to the point where Im worried about driving sometimes. Its worse in bright light or even florecent light. Thanks Rick

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As a retina surgeon I can tell you that, depending on the degree of visual distortion from your macular pucker it can very easily cause the symptoms you are having.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? I very, very, very much doubt that you have a brain tumor from what you have posted.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

One reason you might be using the reading glasses for getting around is that you may have macular edema in addition to your macular pucker.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you consult with an ophthalmologist or, possibly a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : As a retina surgeon I can tell you that, depending on the degree of visual distortion from your macular pucker it can very easily cause the symptoms you are having.
Dr. Rick : The good news? I very, very, very much doubt that you have a brain tumor from what you have posted.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : One reason you might be using the reading glasses for getting around is that you may have macular edema in addition to your macular pucker.
Dr. Rick : I suggest you consult with an ophthalmologist or, possibly a retina specialist.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to Doctor Walker in Fort Myers Florida , he said there is a pucker and the fluid is a little cloudy but an operation wouldnt correct my perception problem . Again it is more obvious in the bright light then in the house or at night that makes me think it is the pucker. Do you think I should get the operation and hope thats it or continue with the problem that doesnt seem to be getting worse it just bothers me more and maybe it would be better to do this at 62 instead of waiting.

You are getting very good care with Dr. Walker. I agree with him -- until the pucker reaches a certain point, the risks of the surgery are not worth it and, from what you have posted, it seems like you are in this "no mans zone" :(

One good thing about waiting is that soon you will have medicare insurance which will pay for almost all your treatment, should it become necessary.

Does this make sense to you?