Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had an eye test in January 2012. I was told that my right

Customer Question

I had an eye test in January 2012. I was told that my right eye had deteriorated somewhat while as the left eye had remained about the same. However when I tried the new spectacles it was immediately obvious that the right lense was very blurred at distances in excess of about 5 metres. I was given another test which resulted in the prescription being 'tweaked'. The new lenses were very slightly better but still nowhere near as good as my old existing pair but I was advised to persevere with the new ones. Having tried this with no improvement I asked two opticians if they could make up new spectacles to the same prescription of my old ones they said all they could do was give me another test. The problem that I seem to have is that the new prescription is fine at the distance of the test screen but I feel that I need to be tested ' looking out of the window down the road'!! The result is that I have two pairs of unuseable spectacles and one old pair of very scratched ones which although ,probably not the exact prescription, are infinitely better.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Roy,

Thank you for that information.

Were you having any problems with your old glasses prior to your eye exam?

Did the eye doctor mention anything about cataracts?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr.Rick.,

Thanks for getting back to me.

With my old glasses I had noticed that they sometimes seemed as though I was looking through sun glasses to a slight extent.

I mentioned to the optician that on my right eye-- when I looked to the left a slight 'shadow' passed to the right and when I looked to the right it passed across to the left but that observation (excuse the pun) did'nt prompt a response from him.

I seem to remember that he did mention that there may be a slight cataract on the right eye (did he say behind the eye?---I really can't remember---old age is a terrible thing!!!!!). Anyway he did'nt seem to place any importance on it.

I'm sorry if these details are a bit vague but this was all sometime ago now.

Regards,

Roy.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Roy,

It is possible that the slight cataract the optician noticed is causing your symptoms and problems.

At this point I think your best option is to obtain copies of all your eye medical records and recommended new eyeglasses Rx and consult with an ophthalmologist. She will be able to do a complete eye exam and, hopefully, get you into some new glasses that work. :)

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply Dr. Rick. where you advise me to get all my eye records. Hopefully my last question to you is how do I go about obtaining my eye records as I have seen several optician companies over the years.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX Thanks for your kind attention,

Roy.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Roy,

You really only need the most recent records so I would get the records from the optician you most recently saw.

Remember. Unless you mash the positive feedback button (The one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push ;) I do not get compensation for helping you....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dr. Rick. Now lets have fun pressing buttons!!!!!!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like an excellent plan :)