Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Greetings, I have diagnosed with intraocular hypertension and

Greetings, I have diagnosed with intraocular hypertension and was prescribed carteolol HCL 2% Whenever I use it, it burns a lot. I tried using artificial tears before administering it. Is it normal for it to burn? When should I use it (in the morning/at night)?If I discontinue using that will there be any complications? Thanks..

Welcome to

It is common for eye irritation and burning sensation to occur with the use of Carteolol eye drops. But this is a temporary phenomenon and should disappear with regular use. It is alright to use it with lubricating eye drops . Please do not discontinue use of this medicine without the consent of your ophthalmologist. It would have helped to know the reason why intraocular pressure should have increased leading to ocular hypertension. If the intraocular pressure is not kept under control( below 20 mm of Hg) with medicines, then it can have irreversible optic nerve damage in the long run( beyond years). So do keep in touch with your ophthalmologist and let him know if the burning sensation continues beyond weeks of regular use .

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist