Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, I wear soft toric contact lenses. I know that I am supposed

Hello, I wear soft toric contact lenses. I know that I am supposed to remove them each night. However, I typically wear them for up to three months at a time. What will this do to my eyes? So far the only effect that I have noticed is occasional discomfort.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

By wearing contacts lenses at night you greatly increase your risk of getting a serious corneal ulcer or otherwise damaging your eye. This is especially true if the contact lenses are not specifically designed and marketed for extended/overnight or full-time wear.

Dr. Rick :

The occasional discomfort you are feeling can be thought as a "wake up call" from your Guardian Angel that you are doing something that you shouldn't be doing.......

Dr. Rick :

This discomfort is probably a sign that you might have a micro scratch on your cornea, swelling of your eye or some other "sub-critical" damage to your cornea that, if it was just a little bit worse, or if conditions were a little bit difference, could blossom into a vision threatening corneal ulcer.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? Don't do this :(

Dr. Rick :

At least try not to make a habit out of it....

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : By wearing contacts lenses at night you greatly increase your risk of getting a serious corneal ulcer or otherwise damaging your eye. This is especially true if the contact lenses are not specifically designed and marketed for extended/overnight or full-time wear.
Dr. Rick : The occasional discomfort you are feeling can be thought as a "wake up call" from your Guardian Angel that you are doing something that you shouldn't be doing.......
Dr. Rick : This discomfort is probably a sign that you might have a micro scratch on your cornea, swelling of your eye or some other "sub-critical" damage to your cornea that, if it was just a little bit worse, or if conditions were a little bit difference, could blossom into a vision threatening corneal ulcer.
Dr. Rick : So. What is the take home message? Don't do this :(
Dr. Rick : At least try not to make a habit out of it....
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS