Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, I am a 62-year old woman who has had an average of 2 colds

Hi, I am a 62-year old woman who has had an average of 2 colds a year throughout my life. I have one now, and while I am not coughing and can breathe fairy easily (the cold started last Sat.), my eyes are swelled almost shut, constantly tearing and my vision is blurred. I have never had my eyes affected by a cold before, and want to know what to do for my eyes. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

the best thing to do for your eyes during a systemic issue like a cold or flu is to soothe them with artificial tears frequently throughout the day. There are many brand names available, such as refresh tears, natural tears etc. The least expensive of them work just fine. :)

Dr. Rick :

Also, use cold compresses to help reduce the swelling and edema.

Dr. Rick :

As your cold resolves so should your ocular symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS