Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Good morning, for the last couple days my vision has been

Customer Question

Good morning,
for the last couple days my vision has been different from normal, my distance vision is okay as usual but my reading glasses didn't work. I tried different strengths but couldn't see clearly with any of them.
Today I woke up with pain in my right eyeball, it feels like it has been hit and is even sore to the touch. The pain is dull and constant but increases when I look to the right.
Any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of issues that could be causing your difficulties.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : There are a number of issues that could be causing your difficulties.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
One possible cause for your symptoms is inflammation inside your eyeball, called uveitis. Another possibility is intermittent angle closure glaucoma.

In any event, no matter what the cause of your (very serious) symptoms are you need to do one thing, and do it today:

Get in to an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate your help. I am disappointed with this service. I was expecting to be able to chat, as they claimed.

It is now the end of the day. I didn't see your reply until now so didn't go to an opthalmologist. The pain isn't as severe as it was when I woke up this morning. Do you think I should wait to see if it continues to get better since it's not getting worse?

When and if I do need to go is there anything I should ask or inquire about specifically?

What does a complete eye exam entail? Is it just a physical or are pictures taken? Is dilation part of that?

Are you available to discuss his findings?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
No. I do not believe you should wait. Get in to see an ophthalmologist ASAP.

There is nothing you need to inquire about as the eye exam will tell the doctor what she needs to know.

Pictures will probably not be taken but, yes, your eyes will be dilated.

I would be happy to discuss the findings with you after your doctors visit.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.