Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Ive started taking EyePromise Restore about three ago and

I've started taking EyePromise Restore about three ago and have gained weight - so far more than two pounds this week. Is this a typical side effect of the supplement?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. Eye promise restore should not lead to weight gain.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Is there a chat function, or something? I'm missing the answer.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The chat system froze up and the computer switched us to the Q&A system :(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
As a retina specialist, however, I can tell you that the "promises" made by this company are a bunch of BS.

If you are worried about the health of your retina, especially the macula, the best thing you can do is stop smoking.

Also, no study has shown that vitamins are helpful in patients who do not have any clinical evidence of dry macular degeneration. The AREDS vitamins was only shown to help in this specific sub-group of people who had this disease.

That being said, if you want to take vitamins, such as ICAPS, it will not hurt you, but I would not spend a lot of extra money on this product with its false claims.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been diagnosed with macular degeneration, but don't know if it's dry or wet. I go back in a couple of weeks. So, should I continue with the vitamins? They are expensive and I don't want to waste money.

According to my doctor, I have a number of risk factors for AMD, including a family history, but, still at 48 years old, he was a little surprised.

He also diagnosed the start of glaucoma. Do the vitamins help wtih glaucoma?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
If you have dry age related macular degeneration I would take the brand name vitamins ocuvite or ICaps. They have the proven formula for this condition.

Does this make sense to you?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

At 48 I am a bit doubtful of your diagnosis of age related macular degeneration. If you are being treated by an optometrist I would doubt this diagnosis even more....

I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) or possibly a retina surgeon to make sure what you are being told is correct before you spend anymore of your hard earned dollars on eye vitamins.

I wish you the very best.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
OOps! My fingers hit the D instead of a K in the above post.

I really do know how to spell Kari lol!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Vitamins do not help with glaucoma.

Once again, in my professional opinion, optometrists should even think of treating glaucoma, no matter what their State's licensing board says they "can" do.

The diagnosis's you are talking about should only be made, and treated, by an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A couple of years ago an opthamologist diagnosed macular degeneration, then another phthamologist said that I didn't have it, and now an OD diagnosed it again. I will get another opinion and see what happens.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like it is time to have a retina specialist have a look at what is going on with your macula......

Have a good day :)