Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

52. I got new progressive bifocal eyeglasses made. I can

Customer Question

52. I got new progressive bifocal eyeglasses made.

I can see properly the distant objects but the near things are properly visible sometimes and not the other times. I had the glasses checked by the eye doctor who tested the eyes. He said that the glasses are made according to prescription.

What could be wrong?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

it can take up to 3 weeks of full time wear for you brain to "adjust" to new progressive glasses. If you have have not had them this long, I'd suggest just giving them a try for that long and see if you adjust.

Dr. Rick :

Also, the fit of progressive glasses is very important. If they are not centered correctly you may have problems. I would hope, however, that the doctor has checked this already.

Dr. Rick :

Another issue is that you have to get used to "pointing your nose at what you want to see up close". Progressive glasses only have a very narrow "sweet spot" for near vision. To the side of this area the glasses do not have any power. From what you have posted it may be that you are looking outside of this channel.....this would cause near things are properly visible sometimes and not the other times.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? Give them at least three weeks for you to get used to them. If not then, perhaps, progressive glasses are not for you. Not everyone can adjust to them :(

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS