Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I HAD CATARACT SURGERY 10 MONTHS AGO. I ONLY GOT ONE EYE DONE

I HAD CATARACT SURGERY 10 MONTHS AGO. I ONLY GOT ONE EYE DONE BECAUSE I HAD PAINS IN MY HEAD AND SWELLING IN THE LEFT CORNER OF EYE. I WAS GIVEN STEROIDS WHICH HAS NOT HELPED ! WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I GET THE OTHER EYE DONE?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

I had cataract surgery 10 months ago,i am diabetic ,i only had one eye done because i had pains in my eye and head and still have pains and swelling in the left corner of eye. i was given a steroid eye drop which did not help. should i get the other eye done to help releave the strain on the eye that i had the cataract removed? can a CT SCAN show what is causes my pain? what kind of test do i need?

Customer:

i had surgery 10 months ago

Dr. Tom :

Hello...I am so sorry you are having your problem. As a cataract surgeon of 20+ years experience, I would like to help you with this. Give me a minute to ask a couple of questions. OK?

Customer:

ok

Dr. Tom :

Has your post operative care been totally by the surgeon who did your surgery....or was it deligated back to some one else?

Customer:

my care has been totally by the surgeon who did my surgery.

Customer:

i haven't been back after a third visit, because i was hoping my eye would feel better it still feels the same

Dr. Tom :

OK, thanks for that information. So, to answer your question....it is not very likely that a CAT scan will answer your question. It is very rare for a person who has a normal, uncomplicated cataract surgery to have continued pain that is surgery related for 10 months. And surgery on your other eye is not likely to to resolve the pain you describe. So the real issue is to find someone who will be un-biased and who will make the diagnosis that explains the sourse of your pain. Does that make sense?

Customer:

YES, can eye problems cause servere headaches?

Dr. Tom :

Not usually, unless there is a very high eye pressure....but your doctor would have found that on a follow up eye exam......in your case, if I were your cataract surgeon...I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to resolve your pain issue. So why not make an appointment with your doctor and have a frank discussion about your concerns?

Dr. Tom :

You had complete trust in him to do your surgery.....so now trust him to help you through this pain issue.

Customer:

should i go back to the this doctor or get another doctor. another doctor is doing the c t scan

Dr. Tom :

Well, eye pain in itself is not an indication for a CT scan. Is there a good reason that you can't let your cataract surgeon work with you?

Customer:

THANK YOU .

Dr. Tom :

You bet....is there anything else that I may answer for you?

Customer:

YES, I FEEL PRESSURED FROM DR. TO HAVE CATARACT REMOVED ON OTHER EYE, WOULD IT BE WISE TO USE ANOTHER SURGERON TO DECIDED WHEN ITS TIME TO REMOVE CATARACT FROM OTHER EYE?

Dr. Tom :

First....you should never feel pressured. However, getting good ocular balance from bilateral cataract surgery is our overall objective. Again, it's very important that any patient feels very comfortably with their surgeon. If you do....stick with your origional choice.....if you don't feel comfortable...both you and your doctor will be better off if you make a change. Does that help you with your decision?

Customer:

YES. YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL! THANKS A MILLION!

Dr. Tom :

Please call on me personally again if I can assist you>

Customer:

WILL DO, DR TOM !

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems