Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I visited my Retina specialist (seen for Macular puckering;

I visited my Retina specialist (seen for Macular puckering; left eye) to determine why I am seeing a flashing light and some blurring in the left eye. There was no tear in the retina observed and because the flashing light was continuing off and on for weeks, ocular migraine was ruled out. The diagnosis given was "aging". I am 59. Should a second opinion be sought or is this a common complaint?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon and, while I would not have used the term "aging" I think what your doctor was trying to say is that everything looks OK and there is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual to have symptoms such as yours. What I would recommend is having your eyes examined again in two or three months just to make sure there are no issues.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, if you have a "thunderstorm" of flashing lights, a large number of new floaters or a curtain coming across your vision from any direction, get in to your ophthalmologist right away.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am a retina surgeon and, while I would not have used the term "aging" I think what your doctor was trying to say is that everything looks OK and there is nothing to worry about.
Dr. Rick : It is not unusual to have symptoms such as yours. What I would recommend is having your eyes examined again in two or three months just to make sure there are no issues.
Dr. Rick : Of course, if you have a "thunderstorm" of flashing lights, a large number of new floaters or a curtain coming across your vision from any direction, get in to your ophthalmologist right away.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS