Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was born blind in my right eye (optic nerve did not develop)

I was born blind in my right eye (optic nerve did not develop) and have minimal muscle mobility on the right side of my face (can't wink in right ey or use muscles on the right side, but can smile etc). Is there a reason that one side of the face might have less ablility than the other side?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Has the weakness of the right side of your face been present for your entire life?

Dr. Rick :

Can you puff out your cheeks and whistle?

Dr. Rick :

do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

Dr. Rick :

What have your doctors in the past said about this issue?

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

Yes, I can whistle and puff out my cheeks. I just don't have any major muscle control around the eye, I can't wink in the right eye, I can "snarl" on the left side but have limited muscle ablility on the right side. Yes, I can smile on both sides and raise the muscles over my brow. I was just curious if there might be more than just an "undeveloped optic nerve" reason why I can never move those musles under and around my blind eye.

Dr. Rick :

Normally optic nerve atrophy does not have associated with it weakness of the periorbital muscles

Dr. Rick :

If you really wanted to "leave no stone unturned" in learning if there is a correlation with the optic nerve atrophy and the muscles around your eye, the best place to go would be a large University Medical Center.

Dr. Rick :

. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Has the weakness of the right side of your face been present for your entire life?
Dr. Rick : Can you puff out your cheeks and whistle?
Dr. Rick : do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
Dr. Rick : What have your doctors in the past said about this issue? Customer: Hello,
Dr. Rick : Hi.
Dr. Rick :
I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o) Customer: Yes, I can whistle and puff out my cheeks. I just don't have any major muscle control around the eye, I can't wink in the right eye, I can "snarl" on the left side but have limited muscle ablility on the right side. Yes, I can smile on both sides and raise the muscles over my brow. I was just curious if there might be more than just an "undeveloped optic nerve" reason why I can never move those musles under and around my blind eye.
Dr. Rick : Normally optic nerve atrophy does not have associated with it weakness of the periorbital muscles
Dr. Rick : If you really wanted to "leave no stone unturned" in learning if there is a correlation with the optic nerve atrophy and the muscles around your eye, the best place to go would be a large University Medical Center.
Dr. Rick : . At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS