Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My daughter has had migraines sence she was a little girl.

Customer Question

My daughter has had migraines sence she was a little girl. She's twenty now and getting worse and more frequent. Also when she gets them now her eyes dialate. Could this be serious?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

If the pupils dilate only during the headache ( migraines usually last only for 30-60 minutes) then it could be due to the stress/anxiety associated with it. Other conditions with dilated pupils ( even otherwise when there is no headache) needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. If the pupils react briskly to light then there is no matter of concern absolutely. It is only when they do not react to light or have an ill-sustained reflex then they point towards an eye problem ( but are often associated with continuous reduction in vision).

I guess you can consult your physician for prophylaxis of migraine which can help prevent frequent recurrances ( propranolol/ flunarizine).

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She also says when this happins her heart pounds and she gets dizzy when she trys to shut them to go to sleep. Also they can last for three days.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

An increase in heart rate points towards anxiety ( increased adrenaline causes pupillary dilation and increase in heart rate too). The dizziness may or may not be related to the migraine. In case of persistent dizziness it is better to consult your physician for a more detailed evaluation and to look for other causes of dizziness apart from migraine such as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo(BPPV).

Thank you and best wishes.

Hi ,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai