Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had sudden onset of floaters in my eye a few days ago. I

I had sudden onset of floaters in my eye a few days ago. I went to an opthamologist and was then referred to a retinal specialist. Both said that there had been bleeding in my eye. They also said that 70% of people having had an experience like mine had a retinal tear. Both did eye exams and saw no tear, but were unable to see under the blood. I am to see the retinal specialist tomorrow for a follow up exam. I have been searching the web and have been reading about PVD, retinal tears, retinal detchment, but have seen no reference to the statistic of 70% that both mentioned. What are they referring to? Can you give me more info.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB : I don't have the exact reference at my fingertips either, but I also agree that the preponderance of people with a new PVD and some hemorrhage in the eye do have a retinal tear. That number has also been close to my experience as a practicing ophthalmologist.

Will the Dr be able to see under the blood by tomorrow (incident happened Tuesday) and determine if there was a tear?

Doctor DanB : Its possible, yes, but if the blood is in the bottom part of the retina and/or it is a significant amount of blood it may still be difficult to see past.

ok, thank you. I'm primarily concerned about going back to work. The restrictions on lifting having prevented me from my usual jobs duties. I was hoping I could return to work tomorrow night.

Doctor DanB : I understand, I think there is definitely a chance you could. I hope so! Do you have any other questions?

No. Thank you very much. You have been very helpful.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!