Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a stye on my upper eye lid that has slowly progressed

I have a stye on my upper eye lid that has slowly progressed over the past two days even with my applying warm compress every 2-3 hours as hot as I can stand. I have had them before and they have gone away on their own. I recently went to a doctor and he prescribed doxycline hyclate 100mg twice a day and vigamox three drops per day. I am just off a round of antibiotics from a sinus infection and am trying to get my stomach back to normal from having my bacteria wiped out causing diarrhea. I have read antibiotics cannot help styes yet he prescribed me these two antibiotics. Unsure on what to do here?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

doxycycline and vigamox really have no place in the treatment of a stye.

Dr. Rick :

What type of doctor prescribed you this treatment?

Customer:

A doctor at an Urgent Care, my wife has actually worked with him and he has....not quite a great reputation.

Customer:

I was a bit skeptical, which is why I have held off.

Dr. Rick :

Non ophthalmologists love to give out drops and pills for a stye....but you are correct, you do not need them. I'd just keep the vigamox around the house as it is a great antibiotic, as well as the doxycycline, but don't take them as it is a waste of time with a stye.

Dr. Rick :

here is information (which you might already know) about how to get rid of your stye:

Customer:

Thank you so much, I am just now being able to keep food in my system and build back my flora. I really didn't want to strip that away again for no good reason.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Dr. Rick :

It seems like the chat system is acting up this am....I hope you are able to see what I am typing :)

Customer:

Yes I am seeing your messages and very much appreciate it. Are you an eye specialist?

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad I could be of help......no need to mess up your flora with the antibiotics at this point. I made a deal with the internal medicine MDs in my town: I won't do heart attacks if they don't do eyes lol!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

I am curious, is it the staphylococcus bacteria causing the infection from my pores being clogged and not allowed to drain? Is this what forms the stye? So a stye is basically a staph infection?

Dr. Rick :

yes. I am a retina surgeon with over two decades of clinical experience....and counting ;)

Dr. Rick :

Kinda....it is a over growth of bacteria, usually staph, that get in the meibomium glands and, once the gland gets plugged up, it swells up and causes the stye. Antibiotic can not get inside the stye very well as it is, sorta, a small abscess.......

Dr. Rick :

the bacteria involved are the normal ones that live on your eyelid and face and you really don't want to kill them all off with drugs as then other, "bad", bacteria can take over in their place.....

Customer:

I understand, this has been extremely helpful. Thank you so much. As far as I understand I am to begin cleaning my eyelids as instructed. Would you suggest to continue the hot compresses?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. The hot compresses are a very important part of the therapy as it allows your body to get in there and clean up the infection as well and can promote the stye draining.

Dr. Rick :

Don't expect an instant fix....but this treatment works in 9 out of 10 patients

Customer:

Ok thank you for your time. I will begin treating it accordingly.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.