Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

My son is 15 months. I got home from work today and he had

My son is 15 months. I got home from work today and he had an runny nose. I gave him some cold medicine thinking it was a cold. As the day went on I notices his eyes were watery, he wasn't crying but tears was coming out of his eyes. Yellowish mucus just started to form on his eyes. He's getting hot.
Should I take him to the hospital? What can be wrong with him?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the watering and yellowish discharge from his eyes, is there redness of the eyes too?

Customer:

No

Customer:

There's an runny nose, slight fever

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the absence of profuse redness of eyes, the chances of a bacterial conjunctivitis is less likely. Watering of eyes can occur in presence of running nose due to a cold as the nasal mucosal congestion can cause the inferior meatus to get partly occluded thus resulting in watering of eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The symptoms described are more likely to be due to common cold ( I have just explained why watering of eyes could have occured. The other possibility of watering could be an associated viral conjunctivitis).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Keep checking for his temperature every four hours. In case it rises inspite of medication or is associated with rigors/convulsions, then take him to the nearest pediatrician/physician/GP. Most often viral fever subsides with symptomatic treatment within 3-4 days. As for the watery eyes you can start putting lubricating eye drops such as OTC preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Look out for development of profuse redness and discharge from his eyes. In the even of these it would be better to start the use of antibiotic eye drops such as Moxifloxacin eye drops(vigamox).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Keep the fever under control with children's paracetamol and keep him well hydrated( fluids in the form of water/soups/rehydrating drinks/juice).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Watering and yellowish discharge in case of bacterial conjunctivitis would appear similar to the image shown in this link- http://health-7.com/imgs/17/3505.jpg. This would require antibiotic eye drops ( prescription eye drops).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have anything else to ask?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like you have gone offline at the moment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.