Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am currently pregnant and am considering getting LASIK done

Customer Question

I am currently pregnant and am considering getting LASIK done to correct my vision. I am nearsighted. Will there be any problems in getting this procedure done?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

LASIK should be avoided during pregnancy.Since lasik is an elective procedure, it would be advisable to postpone it to a later date once you have the baby and have stopped breast feeding .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The cornea tends to have edema during pregnancy and is not the right time for any corneal procedure.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The refractive error tends to change during pregnancy thus making it unstable. Thus it would be futile to undergo lasik during pregnancy as the refrative status of the eyes would be likely to change post pregnancy.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

So the take home message is - postpone Lasik to a later date after the delivery. In the meanwhile stick on to your good old glasses ( the best and safest option during pregnancy) as contact lenses too are best avoided.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I have received your response. So regardless of what type of Lasik procedure that is done it isn't recommended since there are eye changes during pregnancy. Am I understanding it correctly?
Hello Chris,

Thank you for the reply .

Yes, you have understood it absolutely right.

Have a safe pregnancy and delivery. Take care.

Regards

Thank you and best wishes.

Hi Chris,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai