Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

eye problems for over 8 months, snowy vision, red bottom eyelid,

eye problems for over 8 months, snowy vision, red bottom eyelid, see stars off and on, right eye has greyish spot, worse outside, light sensitive, penile sore about the size of a quarter, scabs over then oozes and bleeds, never goes away, yellowish spots in underwear now from? been tested for all stds except herpes, had blood tests, no diabetes, everything normal, had sore throat today and some hot flashes and chest pain all over. Almost passed out on toilet after bowel movement, so light headed. What's wrong with me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the vision blurred in both eyes, is it equally blurred both for distance and near too?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Where is the greyish spot in the right eye? Is it seen in the mirror on self examination, on the colored part of the eye? Or is the greyish spot present in your visual field in the right eye ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes, both in my field of vision, it is more pronounced outside, I always wear my sunglasses outside. yes

Customer:

not sure how to enter answers, just hit the enter key?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are a few conditions with penile sore and eye problems such as Behcet's disease but that would need a detailed examination by an ophthalmologist and physician/dermatologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The eye problem in this condition is usually in the form of uveitis characterised by a red painful eye with photophobia and blurring of vision. It is associated with oral ulcers and penile sores. It can even have other systemic manifestations.

Customer:

is it curable?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be very difficult to say with 100 % surety but considering all your symptoms it could be a possibility. Since it is an immune mediated problem , it would be better to take opinion of the immunologist . Yes, treatment is possible if diagnosed early. Steroids are the mainstay of treatment.

Customer:

What are any other conditions associated with these symptoms?

Customer:

Is Behcet disease inherited or a virus or what?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Herpes simplex can also have similar symptoms.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Behcet's disease is an immune mediated disease ( not inherited or infective in nature)

Customer:

And it affects both eyes?

Customer:

Do you think it could be Multiple sclerosis?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Behcet's can involve both eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, multiple sclerosis is more often associated with optic neuritis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Optic neuritis would have a sudden loss of vision in one eye as its presenting symptom. It would not have anything to do with your other signs and symptoms however( penile sore or GI symptoms).

Customer:

If it were herpes, wouldn't the symptoms go away and come back months maybe later?

Customer:

Am I in danger of losing my eyesight?

Customer:

Are you still there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am here.

Customer:

So do you think I could lose my eyesight?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would all depend on the diagnosis and the extent of ocular involvement. Vision loss usually occurs when there is involvement of the deeper structures of the eye such as the optic nerve or the macula in the retina. Whether you have this kind of involvement can only be known after an eye exam by an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

Ok, so this is serious enough someone should send me to a real doctor?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it makes sense to get the eyes examined by an ophthalmologist . For all purposes it may not be any of the above also but without an actual eye exam it would just not be possible to know.

Customer:

If it is herpes, would I have these symptoms all the time?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A cold sore from herpes simplex is known to frequent recurrances but is unlikely to be present continuously for 8 months.

Customer:

So Behcet disease is the main disease for all these symptoms? Ii was in the state forest camp for a while, any chance of fungal infection or ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is one of the likely conditions which can give rise to most of the symptoms which you have described. Fungal infections of the eye are most often in the form of keratitis ( pain,redness,blurred vision and photophobia).

Customer:

Is retinal detachment a possibility or not?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A retinal detachment would have presented with a sudden painless blurring of vision ( as if you were looking through a veil or curtain).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A dilated eye exam would be confirmative.

Customer:

ok, thank you for your time and expertise. Good night.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Goodnight.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince