Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have been diagnosed with narrow angle glaucoma. I am going

I have been diagnosed with narrow angle glaucoma. I am going to have LPI surgery this coming week. I have been avoiding doing inversions in yoga since I was diagnosed. Will I be able to do inversions after this surgery? Thank you.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to chat?
Doctor DanB : Yes, after the laser surgery you should be able to do the inversions in yoga. Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

I can chat. I am wondering how intense the inversions can be and how soon after the surgery. For example, would a headstand be too intense. And if you are familiar with downdog, would that be too intense? Also, how much pain is there with this surgery? Thank you for your help!

Doctor DanB : At the very most this laser procedure has some slight twinges of pain, but otherwise is not significantly painful. I would say that after a week has gone by after the laser procedure, you should be able to do any yoga maneuver that you see fit. You Should not have to worry about any of that after both eyes have been done. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Yes. Is this considered a cure for Glaucoma?

Doctor DanB : Not necessarily, no. This isn't considered a cure. You still need to be monitored on a regular basis for glaucoma to make sure it does not damage your sight. Though this does take care of one risk factor for glaucoma.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Yes - is this considered a cure for Glaucoma? And will it increase my possibility of getting cataracts?

Customer:

Will it increase my chance of getting cataracts and is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Doctor DanB : It's possible this could increase your risk for cataract, though the risk is small. The best ways to prevent cataracts are to wear UV blocking sunglasses in the sun, not smoke, eat a healthy diet and exercise, and avoid steroids.
Customer:

Thank you so much for your help! I will give you a big smiley face.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.