Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My relative fell and hit his head 5 weeks ago. He had a cat

My relative fell and hit his head 5 weeks ago. He had a cat scan but the doctor said it showed nothing. He kept having pain in his eyes and then he gets a call from the same doctor that said he took a look at the cat scan again and he has fluid and a small amount of blood.He also had an MRI done that showed the same thing. The doctor just told him to wait two weeks and they will do another MRI. Isn't it dangerous just to let it go on or will the fluid just disappear on it's own.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Did the doctor say where fluid and blood are? In the brain? Near or behind the eyes?

Customer:

Hello:

Doctor DanB :

Did you see my questions?

Customer:

No the doctor didn't say where it was or if they did, he didn't tell us. They just told him he had fluid on the brain and a small amount of blood. I wouldn't be so concerned but my sister had a similarly thing happen to her but hers was caused by a medical condition and by the time they figured out she had fluid on the brain, she was barely able to function. Will the fluid just go away on it's own and should he just wait another two weeks. His primary doctor is the one that missed it the first time and is giving him advice. My relative also thinks because he has had two days of feeling better, that it has gone away. This accident happened 5 weeks ago. He had fell and hit his upper side of his head on a nightstand and blacked out. He is 75 years old.

Doctor DanB :

Given the constellation of fluid/blood on the brain and eye pain, I would not wait for two more weeks before doing something. In this case, I would recommend he see his ophthalmologist to make sure that this eye pain is not being caused by increased pressure in the head. If it were this could cause him to lose vision. Does this make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

It makes sense but he thinks because it hasn't hurt today, the fluid has disapated. That is what I am wanting to know because he is stubborn. Does fluid on the brain just disappear on its own. His primary doctor seems to think that it will.

Doctor DanB :

If it's a small amount, then yes, it can just disappear on it's own, yes.

Doctor DanB :

I think the safest thing is to have him see the ophthalmologist.

Doctor DanB :

I hope that's been helpful. I have to step away from my desk for 5-10 minutes. If you still have further questions, I'd be happy to answer them when I return. If you are satisfied with our encounter, then...

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!