Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have one yellow light in my right eye, what might be the

I have one yellow light in my right eye, what might be the cause of this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Is this light flashing or shimmering? How long has it been there? Any floaters or headache with it?
Customer:

Shimmering maybe a little, sometimes it is not there. I see it when the eye is closed but sometimes see the image of it when the eye is open. Just noticed a couple of days ago. I do have floaters but have had these for years. No headache

Doctor DanB : Have you had any surgery in this eye? How long have you has this? Any decreased vision?
Customer:

No surgery, just a couple of days, no change in vision

Doctor DanB : So it's there all the time?
Customer:

Most of the time but not always.

Doctor DanB : Any light-sensitivity, loud-noise sensitivity, nausea?
Customer:

Yes some light sensitivity, no loud noise problem, no nausea

Doctor DanB : Has the eye even red or painful?
Customer:

No pain, no redness

Doctor DanB : Do you have any prior eye problems such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, dry eye, or other forms of vision loss?
Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry I have to step away from my desk for 5-10 minutes. I promise I'll be right back to continue our conversation.

Customer:

none of the above, but I am mildly nearsighted.

Doctor DanB :

Okay. I'm back. Sorry about that.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any medical problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis?

Customer:

Mildlly elevated blood sugar levels, no to the rest of them

Doctor DanB :

When you see this light, is it static, or does it flash, pulse, or move around in your visual field?

Customer:

when i close the eye but sometimes i see the image of it when the eye is open. does not move around my visual field, is static

Doctor DanB :

So then this is mostly there when you close the eye and really only there with the eye open just after you've opened the eye? Am I understanding you correctly?

Customer:

You are :)

Doctor DanB :

Assuming you're closing your eyes for awhile, say 15-20 minutes, is it there the whole time you're closing your eyes, or just for a minute or so?

Customer:

No it fades away.

Doctor DanB :

How long does it take to fade away, approximately (rough guess)?

Customer:

about a minute

Doctor DanB :

Sorry for all the questions; thanks for your patience with them. Unfortunately, getting to the bottom of something like this is a little more difficult because I can't actually examine you. I think just a couple more questions.

Doctor DanB :

Does this occur more so after you've looked at a bright light source, such as the sun, a computer screen, or a lit light bulb? Conversely, if the room is dark, does this occur less often?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Okay. Thanks for your patience. Thankfully, I think what you're experiencing is relatively normal. To have this "after-glow" of light after looking at a light-source that fades away after a minute or so is common and usually not a sign of anything worrisome. However, if it's been some time (more than a year) since you've seen your ophthalmologist, this is a good excuse to go get a complete, dilated eye examination to make sure there are no cataracts, or problems with the retina, which can occasionally exacerbate this normal phenomenon. Does this make sense?

Customer:

I does. I had my last exam in June 2012 so if it does not get worse I will wait a couple of months then go to see him again.Thanks for your help, it has put my mind at rest

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck to you.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology