Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

How much should single vision professional prescription reading

How much should single vision professional prescription reading glasses for my wife cost? We have used the same optometrist for 10 years, but today he suggested reading glasses for over $200.00 and we supply the frames. I do trust him, but reading glasses including decent frames can be bought anywhere for less that $20.00. Am I missing something? She does have a lot of issues with her eyes.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Ok, the actual price after my wife raised questions was $160, but still that seems over the top.

Dr. Tom :

Hi....Let me see if I can help. Give me a minute to type an answer.

It is not that we can't afford the costs, we have bought glasses from him for a very long time, but I always thought reading glasses were just magnifying glasses in frames.

Dr. Tom :

The very first thing you should know is that in an adult there is absolutely nothing medical about glasses. And glasses can do no harm to the health of an adult's eye. So even wearing the wrong glasses can't do any medical harm. OTC reading glasses are perfectly alright as long as the person doesn't have a really complicated Rx. Since you have already searched the internet, you know that prices for lenses and frames are all over the place. I am an eye surgeon with 25+ years experience...I wear OTC readers and encourage my patients to do the same. Does that help you at all?

Dr. Tom :

And you are correct about " reading glasses were just magnifying glasses in frames." They are.

Very good response, and I think you are right on point. I have actually used OTC readers as well, and my only complaint was the focal length.