Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My five year old has had involuntary eye rolling for about

My five year old has had involuntary eye rolling for about two weeks. It is not associated with any movement but is more acute in the evening and when she is doing her homework. The eye rolling is not rapid - it is a fairly slow movement. No other body movement when it happens.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Does she blink forcefully or excessively? How about eye rubbing? Is she sensitive to light?

Customer:

No forceful or excessive blinking. A little bit of eye rubbing when tired. No sensitivity to light.

Customer:

I've been reseaching nystagmus but that talks about rapid eye rolling and hers is not rapid - its a slow roll.

Doctor DanB :

Does she do a lot of visual-related tasks such as reading, coloring, video games, tv?

Customer:

YES. She is in preschool and loves reading. And she does a lot of apps on the Ipad. I do notice the eye rolling a lot more in the evening when she has completed her homework and reading and is playing on the Ipad.

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that she has some dryness and/or irritation to the eyes. Many times children can have repeated abnormal eye movements and there isn't anything significantly wrong with the child. The most common reason for this type of behavior (some would call this a tic) is because of surface irritation to the eyes. Some would call this a dry eye, or just eye irritation. It can happen because of the front of the eye being dry or having inflammation, and can also be caused by or exacerbated by eye allergies (usually there is significant itching that accompanies eye allergies).

One of the easiest things to do is to start treating him as though his eyes were dry by either using cool compresses (wet/cold washcloth) over each eye for 5 minutes (done as many times/day as you would like). Another treatment, which is probably more successful at treating eye irritation is to use over-the-counter artificial tears in each eye 3-4x/day. This must be done regularly, every day, for a few weeks (2-3 at least) to see significant results.

However, if you've done either or both of these treatments and the child is still persisting with this behavior, then I would recommend a visit to see an ophthalmologist. This eye doctor can screen him to see if he has a need for glasses that is going unmet and also to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the eyes. Does this make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

Absolutely. I have an appointment with a specialist at Phx Children's Hospital but could not get in until April 30th and the internet research I was doing was making me frantic. I will try the eye drops and keep the appointment. Thank you so very, very much.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck!

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology