Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Dr. Rick Only:The leg pain kinda came back w/a vengence...

Advil helps, Tylenol helps--but it depresses me that now that i am off the Voltaren, i never know my limits-AND-when i wake up 1st thing in the morning, that leg REALLY pains!

Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am the Moderator for this topic. Dr Rick is not available right now, but I have sent him a message to follow up with you here, when he comes back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience!

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will wait for Dr. Rick.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will wait for Dr. Rick....

I am sorry for the long wait. Dr. Rick has been notified that you are waiting. Thank you very much for your continued patience:-)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Thank you for waiting for me. I do enjoy working with you

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you...I've been on a week long snowmobile trip where I had to carry everything on my back and my laptop was just too heavy :(

I'm not sure if you have seen your surgeon since you started this tread....what can I do for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, i kinda DID start this thread prob'ly JUST as you began the snowmobile schlep-

At present, my "leg" area is hurting....oftimes on the outside of my thigh(this is the leg w/the newly-installed hip)and lately, in my GROIN(which worries me, as that is near the area which hurt prior to my surgery)....

I am scheduled to see my surgeon this Thurs., and plan to speak to him about THAT, plus balance issues(only sometimes-)and morning pain and stiffness.I am worried that he will just RX exercises for me-one of which HURT the other leg when i did it(you know, the one where you tie a long rubber-type band to a stationery object and then pull your leg out to the side--the band provides resistance)....when i might POSSIBLY benefit by a well-aimed shot of SomethingOrOther....

Or would it be another round of Voltaren? I do not mind that all that much, but wonder if i will have to be on it almost indefinitely to "feel good."

I wanted you, if you would be so good as, to help me crystalize what i ask the Surgeon, so i don't go on and on as, i suspect, i am doing to YOU!!!

So-:(1)Your opinion as to what you think of my fears and concerns and (2)How you think i should put 'em to the doc.

I like working w/YOU, too-which is why i waited so long.I hope your back is OK!!!

Your fan,

Madeleine

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Madeleine,

My back came through the trip very well and I had a great time. I don't often get a week off all in one chunk. :)

It is not unusual to have the type of pain you are experiencing, even this far out, after such a large operation. It can even extend to the groin area.

When you see your surgeon on Thursday you should remind him of exactly what you have been doing as far as exercise and PT as well as when your pain occurs. It might be helpful if you could jot down some notes about these issues so you can tell him exactly when, where and how you are having the most difficulty.

Since you have had the hip joint replaced I do not think that a shot of steroids is the way to go....that really works to decrease the inflammation in a damaged joint...and your hip joint has been replaced. That being said, if Voltaren will make you feel better going back on it wouldn't hurt anything at all. And. I can assure you that you won't have to be on it forever :)

Your concerns are very valid and, hopefully, he will spend a few moments to listen to you.....

Let me know how things go.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Dr. Rick-:

Boy, your answers are really great!!

I esp. liked the "where/when/how pain occurs one"-very precise Cool!!

I will definitely pursue the Voltaren option....and thank you for your opinion on a shot. The reason i thought THAT might help is that i've been diagnosed w/stenosis(which i don't think is ALL that severe:doesn't EVERY 63 year old gal have at least SOME??)AND a small disk protrusion....hence, the shot idea. I also want to see what he thinks about getting one for my shoulder, which still pains!

I VERY much appreciate your telling me my concerns are valid-Sometimes, i wonder whether i am a pain....it is good to know that my concerns should be treated w/respect-as YOU have treated them.

Thanx AWFULLY much!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure.

Take care and let me know what I can do in the future to help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it OK if i leave this Q "Open" until after i see the Surgeon on Thurs.?

I got in trouble a few times w/JA bec. They said i was asking too many questions....this is really TRUE!

Let me know, OK?

Thanx,

~M~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't seem fair :(

But,sure. Leave it open.

TTYL.

R
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will be in touch tomorrow--thank you for letting me leave this one open....

~M~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
No problem ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Dr. Rick-:

Surgeon said i probably have an inflammation in hip flexors(what are THOSE??), and Advil would help. He said that if in a month leg were still an issue, i COULD get an epidural, bec. back may be the cause of it(i guess he meant the stenosis? The disc??), and it might JUST help(or NOT, right?!!)....So i will see what the Advil does-I guess i will be taking it w/Breakfast, and if i have pain later in the day, then as well(he said i could take it up to 3X a day-)(600mgs. a pop isn't too much, is it?)--

Overall, he said i'm doing very well. I also got a shot in my shoulder, bec he thought the pain THERE could be from a combo of arthritis and impingement.

Comments?

Thanx,

~~

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
those are muscles that move your hip....

No. That is a fine dose....

Sounds like you are getting very good care :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest