Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I was near-sighted from age 17, and had eye exams every couple

I was near-sighted from age 17, and had eye exams every couple of years. I had no drastic changes, and glasses worked fine. Last fall, at age 65, I had cataracts removed and laser YAG surgeries on both eyes. My new glasses are not much better than not wearing any at all. There just isn't much definition in distance. My question is this. If glasses can be presribed to correct vision with natural lenses, why can't they be prescribed for implants? I am happy to be free of cataracts, but were my expectations too high? I should add that I was told that other than the cataracts, my eye health is good.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds like you've had an undesirable refractive result from your cataract surgery.

Doctor DanB :

Glasses can certainly be prescribed for people with implants as well as people with their natural lenses. It's quite possible that you have very little need for glasses (very small refractive error) and that your vision isn't necessarily changed much by the glasses because there isn't much to change. However, that doesn't explain your undesirable definition for distance objects.

Doctor DanB :

In my experience, there is usually something that is causing this lack of clarity and it usually is either the retina (the macula, or the center of the retina), or it is the front of the eye (the tear film coating the cornea). It is not uncommon to have a small amount of fluid accumulate in the retina from surgery that never quite goes away after surgery. Also, after surgery some people can start to develop some wrinkling of the retina, that may not have been there prior to the cataract surgery. Both of these can cause decreased clarity. However, most likely, a dysfunctional tear film may be contributing to decreased clarity of your vision. This is very common in perons who have had eye surgery because the surgery itself can cause a decrease or interruption in the eye's normal ability to maintain it's hydration and clear tear film in front of the eye.

Doctor DanB :

I think if you've reached a point where your surgeon can no longer explain to you why you have this lack of clarity, you might be benefitted by seeking a second opinion from another ophthalmologist. Does that make sense? Do you have any further questions about this?

Customer:

I still have one more post-op appointment with the surgeon, so I would prefer to have that before seeking another ophthamologist's opinion. If my problem is a dysfunctional tear film, how likely is it to occur in both eyes?

Customer:

How likely is it to have a dysfunctional tear film in both eyes?

Doctor DanB : Very likely actually. There are...
Doctor DanB : There are other factors that are very common that can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film that I wouldn't be shocked if you had one or more of them, in addition to having had eye surgery. A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film.  Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Any kind of eye surgery can actually cause and/or worsen this  Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out. 
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology