Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had cataracts removed from my right eye in December 2011

I had cataracts removed from my right eye in December 2011 and the surgery went well. My vision was 20/25, I had purchased the 2400 lense to be used and was very happy.I had cataract surgery on my left eye Sept. 2012. My eye was very red and painful after surgery.I again paid for the better lense but my eye is not better. I have had problems with eye pressure, it was 36 a couple of days ago. My doctor had me checked by a second doctor but still the high pressure exists. My doctor tried some laser, in less than 2 weeks I called to see him, my eye pressure was 42. I had been popping Excedrin for the pain over my left eye. He keeps giving me different drops and I keep hoping they will work. He doesn't know what is causing the eye pressure. He is a good doctor, he even belongs to Doctors without Borders.I need help, Mary Ann Kearney

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you know if the surgery had any complications?

MY eye was very red and I had pain which I hadn't had after the surgery with my right eye.

The doctor didn't say anything was wrong, just that he would see me tomorrow at his office.

He had an assistant during the surgery of my right eye in 2011. This surgery on my left eye was done just after he operated on an older Asian man for cataracts. Later when I received the hospital bill they charged me 1900. for medicare lense. I called them and told them I had paid earlier 2400 to the doctors office for the better lense.

My doctor did not have an assistant with him like the first time.

Doctor DanB : There can be several things wrong that may be causing this, one of which could be the effects of a complication of surgery. It sounds like there is still significant inflammation in the eye and that this may be causing the increased pressure in the eye.

My doctor kept saying some take longer to heal so I waited and he kept checking my eye but than the pressure started. He has checked the back of my eye and everything is fine.

How do we find out if it is inflammation in my eye and heal it.

Doctor DanB : This, unfortunately, can happen for a number of reasons, but for many people the inflammation ultimately resides after several months. It is important, then, to continue to control the pressure while the inflammation is getting better. Unfortunately, because I cannot examine you, I can't say for absolutely certain that there is inflammation in the eye, though the fact that your eye is red, painful, and light-sensitive indicates that this is very likely; as likely as the sun being high in the sky when it is light and warm outside. The best thing for you would to seek another opinion from another surgeon to see what they think and to see if there are treatment regimens that you could benefit from that haven't been tried yet.

My eye is not red anymore for months, it is the the pain of pressure in the eye. It feels like a sausage in too tight skin.It also gives a lot of glare.

Doctor DanB : If that is the case, and the pressure is not being controlled on topical glaucoma therapy (drops), then it may be necessary to perform another surgery to keep the pressure lower.

That is scary. My doctor has me return to his office every Monday to check the pressure. If these drops don't lower the pressure what can I do. Doctor Markman is old, I don't want to hurt him but I don't know any other doctors to help me.

Doctor DanB : If you tell me what city and state you're in, I can help you find another doctor who can provide you with a second opinion.

I liv in Torrance, Ca 90503. My address isXXXXX

Doctor DanB : Go to the following website (click on this link): the drop down boxes, put your city and state in the appropriate areas, under the 'subspecialty' drop-down choose 'Cataract/IOL', then choose a 5, 10, or 25 mile radius. Leave the other fields blank and hit the 'Search' button. This will generate a list of the cataract surgeons in your area from which you can choose another surgeon to have a second opinion. Does this make sense?

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this? 

No, thank you for your time.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. I wish you good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!