Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

RA-kyl

Customer Question

I started having spells a couple of days after I started thyroid pills for under active. I got switched to eltroxin and the spells are milder now but still happening. It starts with my vision it not right but not double vision either just not focusing right or something. I then feel waves of dizziness and my vision goes black around the eyes and tunnels in until I have total blackness and sometimes pass out. My hands go weak and it takes a lot of energy to use them, now I also get numbness in my hands and feet and limbs. I can't get my thyroid under control but the doctor thinks the spells and thyroid are two separate issues. Are these spells related to my thyroids, it's been over 16 mos and I'm feed up.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Hi, thanks for the question. You certainly are having some problems. As an ophthalomologist, I would agree that a lot of your symptoms don't sound thyroid related.

Dr. Tom :

You said....". It starts with my vision it not right but not double vision either just not focusing right or something. I then feel waves of dizziness and my vision goes black around the eyes and tunnels in until I have total blackness"..............this really sounds more stress related ( in the panic attack category). The visual and the hand numbness occuring together also goes along with this.

Dr. Tom :

If you have not done so you should see an ophthalmologist to get a proper ocular baseline established.

Dr. Tom :

The good news is that these symptoms don't suggest that a stroke is likely the cause.

Dr. Tom :

Perhaps you live somewhere in Canada close to a Canadian or an American Teaching Medical school. For really complicated, multiple system problems like yours, the academic centers provide all of the specialist needed to sort out your condition.

Dr. Tom :

If you would like, and you provide me with your location in Canada, I will be glad to research the facility nearest you. Just let me know.

JACUSTOMER-ktzhu7u8- :

I have seen an Ophthalmologist and he ruled out any vision problems, panic attacks and migraines have also been ruled out. Loop recorders show nothing. Nobody can find anything wrong with me but yet it keeps happening since Oct 2011. This is crazy to still be happening with no answers. I live in Pictou County, NS

Dr. Tom :

Great....I'm glad you have had the good results do far. Would you like me to research a facility for you?

JACUSTOMER-ktzhu7u8- :

Oh, I've also had every hormone test done and nothing and gone for 2 weeks with no caffeine, lots of water and salt and a decrease in smoking. No difference.

JACUSTOMER-ktzhu7u8- :

No you don't have to find a faclity, I'm on the list for a neurologist and an endocrologist but at this point I give up and will just become a hermit I guess.

Dr. Tom :

Super....those are the two specialists I was going to recommend. You have a complicated problem. Would you please get back to me later, so that I can also learn from your evaluation? Many thanks and very best wishes.

Dr. Tom :

I'll close out by switching to the Q and A so you can rate our encounter. Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Tanya.....I hope you get sorted out quickly...tending to three children is tough work under the best of circumstances........although you live in a beautiful place to do it. I would like to visit your area someday.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Tanya,

So that I may learn from mistakes, please tell me why you rated my attempt to assist you with such a bad rating?

In your posting, the question you asked was " Are these spells related to my thyroids?".

And in my reply I suggested that they didn't;t sound thyroid related. Then I tried to offer some other thoughts of your symptom and care. I was delighted that you are set to see the proper specialist.

So please tell me what more you expected. Getting a bad rating when trying hard to satisfy you and help you is hard to understand.

If you think my service was at least ok, please consider re-rating with one of the happy faces..Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Going to a research facility is not a helpful suggestion. If I thought that was the route to go I wouldn't have even been on your site. I wasn't paying for an answer to get small talk about where I lived. Your advise was less useful than my our doctor and I didn't have to pay him for his. I was expecting at least something that it seems to be to get checked out. And what it couldn't be. You keep e-mailing me to get me to ask more questions, I don't have more questions. I had one question that you couldn't answer yet you charged me anyhow. This site is a scam and I should have know better. I stopped corresponding with you because you oviously can't help me so you charge me anyhow!