Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Good evening, On March 1, I was diagnosed with a severe

Customer Question

Good evening,

On March 1, I was diagnosed with a severe corneal infection and given two compounded prescriptions: gentamicin and vancomycin, applied alternately on the hour. Now my eye is in even more pain, extremely weepy with lots of yellow, mucus-like matter. Many cultures were made and I return to Vanderbilt in the morning(March 5) for test results and follow up. I have essentially no vision in my right eye. What do you recommend I do tonight? I live 75 miles away from Nashville and the MD had the brusque bed-side manner of an ox. I tried to talk with him today but could not get beyond his nurse practitioner. I am very scared of losing my vision permanently. I am a 63 years old, healthy, well-controlled diabetic (diabetic for 35 years--insulin dependent). This is the first eye infection I've ever had. Any advice and recommendation will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

Are you there? What do I do next? I haven't consulted one of these sites before?

Doctor DanB : I can certainly understand you being scared. This is a very serious issue. However, unfortunately I would recommend you return to Vanderbilt tomorrow to follow up. Be as diligent as you can with these antibiotic drops because shortly from now you will likely see improvement. I actually trained at Vanderbilt I know most of the surgeons there; unfortunately, some of them do have a very short bedside manner, but they are all very good physicians and know what they are doing.
Doctor DanB : does that make sense? Do you have any further or more specific questions about this?
Customer:

Yes, just a couple of additional questions. My right eye seems to be "shrinking"--can that be possible? the surface has a somewhat withered appearance such as fingers that have been under water too long. The whits of my eye is raw-steak red and hasn't improved much at all these last few days. Also, there is what looks to be a small, white cloud-like mass essentially in the center of my pupil that covers virtually the entire pupil, but is smaller today than two days ago. Does that shrinkage indicate a good thing or a bad thing? And finally, are there any significant probabilities that I can expect to have any sight restoration? Dr. Chang didn't give me much hope on that score.

Customer:

You can be very direct with your answers. I am reconciled to just about any outcome at this point.

Doctor DanB : Yes, that shrinking appearance is just the swelling and consolidation of the eye tissues during infection so it is relatively normal to appear like that. Also the whitest area in front of the pupil is the densest area of infection and the fact that that is receding and size is a sign that the eye is likely getting better. Does that make sense?
Customer:

ok. That sounds encouraging. Thanks. Now, for the tough one: Seriously, can I expect much in terms of vision restoration? I am now only able to see shapes and shadows--having gone from essentially perfect vision. I just need an expert to tell me if I can expect any recovery of if there might be follow up procedures available.

Doctor DanB : To be honest with you, I do expect that you are going to have some permanent vision loss in the the best of scenarios. If the infection continues to resolve it will likely scar over and that corneal scar will cause a significant limitation to your vision. However, hopefully once everything has settled you may be able to receive a corneal transplant to allow good vision again. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Yes. Thank you. That essentially confirms the research I've done. I may be a candidate for that down the road; however, age and diabetes may preclude that option. At least I know what I'm most likely facing.

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

I appreciate your assistance and your candor this evening. I feel calmer. Thank you for you time. I'm now ending our conversation unless you have additional comments.

Doctor DanB : Just good luck to you! I hope you do well. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Thanks. That's all for me. I feel calmer and more informed. I appreciate your assistance.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure. Good luck to you.