Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I was diagnosed with lattice retinal degeneration about 2 years

I was diagnosed with lattice retinal degeneration about 2 years ago. Basically the doctor said that it meant next to nothing in the present, but that in the future it could cause problems.

Yesterday I noticed that my vision suddenly looks skewed, like when I read on my computer screen, the words are swimming a bit, like the screen doesn't look completely "flat" anymore. And in my left eye, there is a big floater, it's like a double brown ring shaped slightly like a heart, hollow in the center...the brown looks almost like I'm looking through dried blood or something. Should I be concerned? It's dead center of my line of sight.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX,

With your history of lattice retinal degeneration and your recent onset of visual symptoms, it is very important for you to schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist ASAP. It might be a sign of further thining of the lattice or the beginning of a detachment. Hopefully it's only a change in your vitreous, but without an exam it's impossible to know.

Please make a call first thing in the morning. That is the most direct answer that I can give you in this chat , but if you were a patient in my practice I would definately want to check you out Monday.

I hope this has answered your question. And please let me know what the ophthalmologist said. You can always get back to me by coming back to this email........Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - I will do that. I did some research and what I am seeing sounds like what I am reading about a Weiss ring...but it seems like I am really young to be seeing a Weiss ring?

Does taking decongestants or coughing a lot affect this?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Heather, That is exately what you are seeing....and as for age...yes....but still we see enough of them in folks your age that we don't think it's unusual. Is there anything else I can answer for you?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Sorry...I missed your last question.... decongestants are fine....as for coughing....rapid head movements are best avoided, but there is an important reason we cough for the health of the respiratory system. Re-ask this based on what your ophthalmologist finds.

Best wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, it turned out that this had nothing to do with retinal degeneration. I had an insane day today, first a trip to the opthalmologist, where I found out that what i was seeing was a swollen optic nerve somehow, and that I needed to go the ER immediately and get a whole bunch of tests, including a spinal tap. Like I say, this was a day I will never forget.

When the brain pressure is reduced, will the visual effect I am having from the swollen optic nerve go away, or did this permanently damage it and will i have a big circle in my field of view forever?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Well Heather, I'm certainly sorry that you had to undergo so much........but thankfully you did go to your ophthalmologist !!

While you probably did see the Weiss ring you mentioned, the visual field defect caused by the swollen optic nerve would make your central vision blurry.

You asked " When the brain pressure is reduced, will the visual effect I am having from the swollen optic nerve go away".......the answer is yes, possibly. In my office we would get a baseline visual field test now and repeat the visual field in a month or two..depending on the primary diagnosis of what caused your swelling. It may not have done premanent damage, although there is a possibility it did, and that depends on how long the optic nerve was compromised. But the good news is that you are getting the proper treatment and for that I am so glad that you contacted us with your question. Very best wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD