Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com
Are you available for chat now?
Since how long has your mother been diagnosed with viral conjunctivitis?
5 weeks before it started. 2 weeks before it subdued. However other family members still has it. She is planning to come to US but before she wants to get done with cataract surgery.
Usually prior to cataract surgery, the eye should be infection free for 3-4 weeks atleast. However in case of certain viral infections with corneal opacities, it might even take 6weeks to 6months before cataract surgery can even be considered. Since other family members still have the viral infection, it would make sense to wait till their infection subsides.
How do you know what kind of viral infection is it? (To decide how long to wait?)
Also, how do we know that eye is healed and ready for cataract surgery?
She also has eye pressure of 20 in that eye.
The ophthalmologist would have to look at the eye on his equipment to know if the cornea is involved or not. If the eye exam shows that the cornea is clear ( no opacities) then ideally there should be a gap of atleast 3 weeks between the healing of the eye and the cataract surgery. To know whether the eye is free of infection, the eye should be red free or white, there should be no watering/ discharge.
Has she been diagnosed with glaucoma?
Yes, POAG in both eyes. But suspected. We are hoping cataract surgery will reduce pressure.
Is she using any anti-glaucoma eye drops?
Other eye pressure 22 avg. But Cataract can wait as per doc.
In that case it is better to keep the pressure below the average IOP of 15mm of Hg.
Is this appropriate? or Should we go for Dortas?
I guess the operating ophthalmologist would be giving the required medicines to keep the pressure under control during surgery such as IV Mannitol orTab.Acetazolamide just prior to the cataract surgery.
Timolet-OD has not been sufficient to keep the IOP under control. However the decision to add another eye drop would depend on the type of cataract too. Sometimes long standing cataracts can themselves be responsible for the rise of IOP. There are different ways of approaching co-existing cataract and glaucoma. If there is progressive optic nerve damage then it would be better to get combined surgery done ( cataract surgery with trabeculectomy). However if the optic nerve is damage free then it would be alright to undergo cataract surgery and continue using anti-glaucoma eye drops.
Since Timolet has been ineffective, it would be better to use additional eye drop such as Latanoprost or Brimonidine.
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! Much appreciated!