Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I woke up yesterday with a swollen, matted right eye that continued

Customer Question

I woke up yesterday with a swollen, matted right eye that continued to weep the rest of the day. This morning my left eye is swollen and weepy, also. Both eyes are red and itchy. I'm sure its pink eye since I've been with grandchildren the last two weeks. What do I need to do and can you prescribe and call in prescriptions.

Also, I have laringitis and and a slight cough.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Tom :

Good morning. Yes it sure sounds like you picked up a virus from the grandchildren. And as you know, virus infections have to run their course until your immune systems brings them under control. Generally they do not require antibotics. However, some physicians will add a covering antibiotic to prevent over infections. As your natural defences build it is reasonable to treat the ocular symtoms, with good lubricating eyedrops like Systane OTC 4 or 5 times a day. Also OTC Zaditor 4 times a day will help with the itching. These symtomatic OTC products will help you through. Also consider cool compresses to your eyes. If you are not improving in a couple of days, you really ought to get checked out by your doctor. The good news is that in a week or so you will likely be right back to grandmothering those grans of yours. I am glad to have been of help to you today.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

We are leaving for church now, but after you have rated my answer, you can always come back with follow up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Dr.Tom. I'll get started on the eyedrops asap. Appreciate your help and your timely response.

Metta

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Metta.......please don't forget to rate our conversation.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi Metta,

Sorry to bother you, but part of my job is to get you to rate my answer and let us know that our service was beneficialy to you. We consultants want to provide excellent service, and it's important that I ask you to give our conversation a positive rating. Thank you.