Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

When I wake up in the morning my eyes are blurry. They seem

When I wake up in the morning my eyes are blurry. They seem to get better as the day goes on. What could that be. They are blurry now and I am right up on the screen typing
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the vision seems to clear up as the day progresses then it could be as a rsult of tear film abnormality.

Customer:

Is that good or bad. Does that require surgery

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No , it does not require any surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The tear film is made of 3 layers out of which the lipid layer is contributed by the meibomian glands(modified sebaceous galnds present in the eyelids).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If this layer is affected ( as can occur with underlying blepharitis or meibomitis), there can be blurring of vision in the early mornings.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Treatment is in the form of-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.

•Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful.

•Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if you any more questions to ask.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like you have stepped away from your computer for the moment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I will switch over to the Q&A format so that you may view the answer once you are back.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince