Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

a few days ago my left eye got very sore, perhaps through dryness.

a few days ago my left eye got very sore, perhaps through dryness. then later I noticed i had slightly blurred vision (i wear spectacles).... I closed my right eye to check if my left eye was clear, i then found i could not close my left eye unilaterally, only by closing both eyes. According to friends and family when i blink my right eye closes well, but the left eye does not seem to. I can close my right eye and blink with my left, but cannot close my left eye and make my right blink..i have to allow my left eye open and then i can blink with both.. bit complex...whats going on?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be important to know if it is only the left eye which has difficulty in closing or there are other facial features involved too. Have you noticed any deviation of the angle of the mouth towards the right side? When you try to show your teeth, look into the mirror, for any deviation of the mouth ? Is it difficult to blow air through pursed lips? Can you hold air in the mouth ( without blowing) and feel for the tautness of the cheeks on both sides? Are they equal on both sides? All these features are part of seventh cranial nerve weakness. If the answer to all these is no, then it could even be isolated lagophthalmos( inability to close one eye). Due to the inability to close the lid completely, the cornea is at risk of exposure and dry eyes too.

Customer:

there is a slight deviation

Customer:

when i try and smile

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, that is a very important observation.

Customer:

actually air does ex=scape

Customer:

it is not equal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case it looks like you do have a left sided Bell's palsy ( weakness of the seventh cranial nerve).

Customer:

a thought occured to me i had some dental work last week

Customer:

rear molar right said with local anaesthetic coudl that be having an effect

Customer:

sorry about the rubbish typing

Customer:

upper molar

Customer:

but yes i thought about bells palsy.. self diagnosis can be dangerous

Customer:

?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is better to consult your physician for a closer look and confirmation of the above. Since all the branches of the seventh nerve are involved , it has to be before its branching behind the ear. So it may not have been due to the tooth problem.

Customer:

so a trip to my family doctor is warranted... OK i will do that

Customer:

was initially concerned about a possible tia

Customer:

or worse

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes that would be better. Early treatment with oral steroids would help in early recovery.

Customer:

but no other symptoms

Customer:

ok many thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Isolated seventh nerve palsy is known to occur.

Customer:

seems ironic I used to be in Medical research at Morrefilds eye hospital here in London

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Wish you a speedy recovery and you get back your smile.

Customer:

not as a clinician

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

thanks you

Customer:

bye for now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Bye and take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Richard,

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions( there would not be any additional charge for follow up in the same thread/link).

Thank you and best wishes.

Hi Richard,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, diagnosis confirmed and now being treated as you suggested.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

I am glad to know that the treatment has been started. Wish you an early recovery. Have a good day.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai