Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am interested in lasik. I am both near sighted and far sighted,

Customer Question

I am interested in lasik. I am both near sighted and far sighted, plus I have a stigmatism. Is it possible for me? Also, I've always heard you can only do lasik once is that correct? Friends have said the effectiveness starts to fade over time.

I've heard on the radio lasik clinics advertising "upkeep" sessions which sounds like it can be done more than once?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. While LASIK is mostly a one-and-done thing, occasionally minor enhancements are done to patients who need them and can still safely have them done. However, the large, whole-scale refractive changes that come from the initial LASIK surgery cannot be repeated. It is not uncommon for the refractive error (need for glasses) to regress and/or change over time in some people, so in that case, yes, it can lose its effectiveness over time.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?   It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!