Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I have numbness in my jaw, pinky, and ring finger and tightening

Customer Question

I have numbness in my jaw, pinky, and ring finger and tightening (to the point of pain that wakes me up at night) of my shoulder muscle. The numbness and tingling are worse when my neck is tighter, but never go away completely. Sometimes the numbness and tingling seem to spread all the way up around the outer side of my eye and I'll get headaches. I have no idea what's going on, but I'm concerned that all this numbness could be permanent, and I'm relatively young and pretty healthy. Normally, the happens on my left side, but some days it's even on the right side, in the same places. I don't know what's going on. My doctor prescribed acetamenaphin and gabapentin. I got to a pretty high dose of the gabapentin with no effect, and she wants me to take quite a bit of acetamenaphin (I may be spelling that wrong.) She's overworked and sometimes I feel like she doesn't get much time to think about my problem.
I just want to fix it. I have a feeling that once the underlying problem is gone, my neck won't be tight and painful anymore and my cheeks and fingers won't randomly go numb anymore. Do you have any idea what's going on?
I'm 36, 5'6", 135lbs. I was hit from behind at a stoplight a couple years ago but all of that should be done by now, I'd assume. Perhaps incorrectly. Ugh, I just want to do some exercises or whatever it takes to get it back to feeling normal. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat now?

Dr. Tom :

Hi just checking in to see if you are available to discuss your question?