Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I was recently diagnosed with iridocyclitis at right eye. My

Customer Question

I was recently diagnosed with iridocyclitis at right eye. My opthamologist told me that we should wait for a few days before treatment. However, now he told me that the inflammation has calmed down and no further treatment is needed, despite the fact that I experience both my eyes fluring. Does it make sense? Also is there is a chance for something that I could inherit?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer: Hi
Dr. Tom :

Hello, thank you for your question. It would help me better understand and answer your question, if I can ask you a couple of questions. Would that be all right?

Customer: Yes, please do.
Dr. Tom :

What symptoms did you have that lead you to go to the ophthalmologist to begin with? And please tell me about any other chronic medical conditions that you may have, and any medications you take.

Customer: As far as I know I do not have any chronic diseases. Furthermore, about six months ago I had my check up, with all coming out positive.
Customer: the first symptom was about fifteen days ago, when my eyes with no reason starting having many tears, I blamed my contact lenses and I just changed them..
Customer: For about a week everything was normal. Then one night when I went to sleep I felt as if I had something gotten in my right eye. I washed my face but it would not go.
Customer: when I finally slept and woke up my eye was red, and more importantly i could not even stare my mobile phone because of its light.
Customer: thatt is when I went to my opthalmologist
Customer: he told me for for the iridocyclitis and prescribed corticosteroid tears
Customer: i had put t them two times, two drops each when in the same day I visited for second opinion an opthalmologist specialized in inflammations.
Customer: he told me to quit the drops as this might be a result of a virus or paracite.. So I did for about five days.
Customer: when I went yesterday, he told me that this was a "new" eye and that I do not need to take something.
Customer: i told him that I feel both my eyes hot and that my eyes get tired within the day even blur a little in the evening and he told me that this will calm down when the inflammation goes completely. For the left eye, which also gets hot and gets tired he told me that there is nothing.
Customer: However the initial photophobia and tears do not bother me any more.
Customer: This is the whole story. Does it make sense to you? When I asked what was the cause, he told me that it might be the lenses
Dr. Tom :

Great, that's good news to know that you don't have any chronic diseases that might lead to to a generalized eye problem. So your initial diagnosis of iridocyltis might simply have come from the degree of irritation due to what sounds like a contact lens related situation. Having reviewed your question, and evaluating your treatment, it does make sense. As I reviewed what you had been told by a general ophthalmologist and an ophthalmologist specializing in inflammation. It sounds like you have had excellent in evaluation and care. The initial photophobia and tearing can certainly be a result of issues related to your contact lenses. And there are similarities between iridocyclitis and what results from irritated corneas. Do you have any follow-up examinations with either of your ophthalmologist scheduled?

Customer: My optha specialst asked to come back in a couple of weeks to see if myopia has increased.
Dr. Tom :

Well, that certainly makes sense. And were you a patient of mine with similar findings, I would ask that contact lens use be discontinued during that two-week follow-up. The corneas need time to reestablish their normal physiology. I hope I have been helpful in giving you further insight into what I know, has been a very troubling experience. The good news is that you will not require long-term steroid treatment and my hunch is that you will be just fine in a couple of weeks and can resume your normal contact lens management of your myopia. Thank you for the opportunity of helping you and please let me know if there is anything else I can do. Actually, I would be grateful to get an email from you in a couple of weeks to hear how you're doing. Best wishes

Customer: Thank you Dr.Tom. Certainly I feel better. I would happy to share my results with you, where could I find your e-mail?
Dr. Tom :

As soon as we check out, I will switch over to the Q&A format. From there you can easily return to our conversation.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

To return to our conversation, all you need to do is click back on this site and post a comment in this box. Again, my very best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr.Tom, I had my eyes checked again. My optha told me that inflammation is gone completely and that both my eyes are clear. He told me that the disturbances I sense (small pain and inches) is because my nodes are more oily than supposed to. He relaxed me saying that I should forget about this adventure. I guess time will show if this was an isolated case. He did not check my vision, he said that since I still experience some disturbances I better let it relax for a month or so. What would you say about all this? I guess he gave me the lenses explanation to relax me, as I was terrified more or less, hoping this could be an one off?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the up date. That sure sound reasonable. Just let your eye resume their natural health. My hunch is that you will eventually get back into lenses. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It was very nice being able to contacting you.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Any time...best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. I am getting back to you, since I am not sure if experience a new symptom or just stress. I noticed that my left eye starting trembling during the day, but this happens two or three times within the day. I did not have same symptoms before. Also whenever I close my eyes, both of them will tremble. I had never noticed that before, could this be related?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.