Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

bilateral outerorbital lumps formed 2 weeks ago.. No pain, no discharge, no redness on ei

bilateral outerorbital lumps formed 2 weeks ago.. No pain, no discharge, no redness on either eyelid. feeling of heavyness and some burning. can be seen by others. about the size of a pea. for past 6 mos. have had tendonitis in both thumbs and wrists. 2 doctors diagnosed cause as viral arthritis. exposure to swarms of mosquitos and spiders!!could the eyelid lumps also have a viral cause?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Please let me know if you're available to chat about your problem now?

Customer:

Dr. Tom, yes, I'm here but a very slow typist--am retired RN

Dr. Tom :

Thanks for your response, it will be nice to discuss this with a nurse. I'm sorry you're having your problem but let's see if we can come up with something useful. Is there any possibility that you could take a digital photograph and attach it for me to observe your problem?

Dr. Tom :

My second question is, was the eye doctor you saw yesterday, an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

no, I don't know how to do it-sorry

Customer:

ys he was

Dr. Tom :

You mentioned that the "eye doctor." was referring you to the owner of the practice. Could you explain that to me in a little more detail?

Customer:

the eye doctor was quite young. owner of the practise is in a neigghboring city, but in our city half the time.theeaarliest appt. I could get was in the neighboring city in 2 weeks. The Dr. I saw said he was referring me on to make sure of the severity of my problem--old nurse that i am, I deduced that he didn't know

Dr. Tom :

And I bet you were a great nurse. I think you're absolutely right in your assessment. And as a nurse, you also know that it is it's very difficult to make a diagnosis without doing a physical examination. However, I'd like to give you a few thoughts. Orbital swelling could be for many things. However, since it occurred on both sides simultaneously, I would look for a systemic cause, as opposed to a local problem, such as mosquito bites, etc. There is possibly an arthritis relationship. There is a possibility of inflammation of your lacrimal glands, which are located in the upper outer orbital areas. But the good news is that the ophthalmologist that you will be seen by should be able to very quickly determine the cause of your problem and get you under treatment. I'm sorry you have to wait two weeks to get a formal answer, but you do need the physical examination by an experienced ophthalmologist, and it's very unlikely that anything serious would happen in the meantime. I hope this information has been helpful in that I have answered your question, as well as possible under the circumstances. I would be very grateful if you would send an email letting me know what your ophthalmologist finds. Best wishes