Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I have this issues with both sides of my nose, the left side

I have this issues with both sides of my nose, the left side the worse of the two. It started about 3 months ago with itchy nose especially at night. Then the nose became very sensitive and I started having a running nose with blood stain in the mucous once a while. I tried saline spray, humidifier and vaseline. They help a little bit but lately I have teary left eye also. My PCP said that I have dry nose and suggested that I should not pick my nose or blow my nose too hard. How come it affects the eye too?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat about your question now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

First, may I sense are you having this problem. And second, I'm answering your question as an ophthalmologist. You are probably aware that our eyes drain away the tears through the nasal lacrimal duct. Problems with sinuses, the nose and throat can all create situations where the drainage from the eye is blocked. So to answer your question" How come it affects the eye too?"...., it is certainly possible that you have a nasal lacrimal duct obstruction. For this reason it would be prudent for you to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist who can easily do a simple office, irrigation to insure that your lacrimal duct is either open, or if it is blocked, He can treat you for it. Does this make sense?

Dr. Tom :

Sorry, that first sentence sounded pretty weird. But I was trying to say is that I was sorry you were having the problem with your eye.

Customer:

Does that require surgery?

Dr. Tom :

No, the irrigation is a simple, in the office procedure to flush a small amount of saline for your lacrimal drainage system.

Dr. Tom :

Is there anything else I could answer for you?

Customer:

So it goes into eye?

Dr. Tom :

No, not directly into the eye. It goes into that little tiny opening on your eyelid near your nose.

Customer:

Ok thanks

Dr. Tom :

You bet, best wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems