Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I had a cataract and canalopasty surgery done 15 days ago and

Customer Question

I had a cataract and canalopasty surgery done 15 days ago and a corrective surgery for the lens because it went out of place--that was 6 days ago. My doctor said there is a lot of swelling. Would the swelling cause a fog or cloud? The cloud is quite prominent and I'm worried since doing research, I haven 't seen this symptom and it's been 6 days from the fix=up and more than two weeks since the initial surgery. I'm really worried that something else is wrong.

Thank you so much--I'm really scared. I have an appointment in 5 days but it's been really cloudy for so long that I don't know if I should call them earlier but I don't want to keep on asking the same question.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

OK

Dr. Tom :

Hello again, I'm so sorry you're having the problems you described. As a cataract surgeon with decades of experience, I'd like to see if I can give you some insight. Give me just a second to type out a response, and then we can address any concerns that you have.

Customer:

ok please take your time

Dr. Tom :

First, I would like to give you reassurance, that even though you've had the setbacks, you mentioned, the potential is still quite good that you will achieve the improved vision you were seeking when you made the decision to have your cataract lens exchange surgery....... At the moment, unless you are experiencing significant pain or significantly increasing redness of the eye, there isn't a need for you to return to your ophthalmologist before the scheduled follow-up....... with regard to the large amount of swelling your ophthalmologist told you about,.... Yes, that certainly could be the cause for the fog or cloud you are experiencing.... And even though you don't find a good explanation from your Internet searches, all of us who do the type of surgery you have had, have a lot of experience in dealing with postoperative swelling. The swelling could be in the cornea. Corneal edema can take several weeks to resolve. The swelling could also be at the retina level of your eye, a condition referred to as cystoid macula edema. You can be sure that your ophthalmologist is quite familiar with and capable of seeing you through either of these issues........, I'll stop with this response and allow you time to review it, and I will standby to answer any follow-up question, you may wish to ask.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX That's all I needed to know. I won't worry about it. I don't know computers that well and if I can find the smiley face--but I am very satisfied with my answer. Thank you again!--Oh, I found it!

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems